been getting a "flash" front and rear when taking the bridge home from work (E-ZPass lane)

Looks like the transponder is no longer being read--I do remember that it has a battery.

I didn't put 1+1 together about the flashes, but when I checked my account, the charges took a long time to post and had the license plate.

Checking online, it would seem this transponder is from 2012--and batteries last 8-10 years. So it all makes sense.

The real oddity/coincidence is I pass by the service center whenever I go to work, so I could stop by and return the bad one. I requested a new one online....

It would stand to reason the other tags should also shortly stop working....

That only happens at the other bridge

For real, my friend back in '96 said there was a condo at an intersection where a woman sunbathed in a string bikini every day, and it caused a massive traffic backup in two directions. I wouldn't have supsected that as it was in Boisbriand PQ, where imho they would be desensitized to such things, unlike we Americans at the time...

:)

I’ve had to deal with a dead battery in a transponder a couple of times. These things generally use higher temp rated lithium coin cells. I’ve heard of some different technologies that have a passive RF (no battery) system on a sticker. I have one of California’s newer ones and it’s a lot smaller. I didn’t bring the one in my wife’s car, but was allowed to have 3 on our account without a deposit and was given an envelope to mail it in. It was just their address and a message that postage would be paid by them. But theoretically I could have just dropped it in the mail without an envelope since it has an address on it.

FLADEWU3TRBK7NRFJTQCRODIWA.jpg

These things also communicate more often than one would think. That’s where drive time estimates come from. It’s claimed that the customer data is anonymized for that purpose. I just put mine in an ESD bag unless I need it for a toll. I figure it probably also reduces battery drain.

That only happens at the other bridge

For real, my friend back in '96 said there was a condo at an intersection where a woman sunbathed in a string bikini every day, and it caused a massive traffic backup in two directions. I wouldn't have supsected that as it was in Boisbriand PQ, where imho they would be desensitized to such things, unlike we Americans at the time...

:)

Too many men live in quiet desperation.

I figure it probably also reduces battery drain.
It does not. In the older technology with a battery, the logic chip runs from the battery all the time whether or not it is being read.

That way the signal from the transmitter does not need to be strong enough for the chip to detect it or use it for power. The chip is a RF switch which repeatedly opens and shorts the antenna with a sequence of bits encoding the transponder's serial number. The bit sequence appears at the reader as variations in reflected power.

As I think you’re indicating, when you
log into your account each transaction will indicate whether it was through the device or through a license plate read. If the transactions are not through the device then I would let them know and get a new one.

As I think you’re indicating, when you
log into your account each transaction will indicate whether it was through the device or through a license plate read. If the transactions are not through the device then I would let them know and get a new one.

There isn’t a way to tell with normal toll transponders, but here in California weave got these “flex” units that have a switch to select 1/2/3+ occupants for things like express lanes and HOV toll discounts. If it’s switched, it will beep 1/2/3 times to correspond to the setting. But it also allows me to check if the battery is still providing enough power.

flex_render.png

I’ve had to deal with a dead battery in a transponder a couple of times. These things generally use higher temp rated lithium coin cells. I’ve heard of some different technologies that have a passive RF (no battery) system on a sticker. I have one of California’s newer ones and it’s a lot smaller. I didn’t bring the one in my wife’s car, but was allowed to have 3 on our account without a deposit and was given an envelope to mail it in. It was just their address and a message that postage would be paid by them. But theoretically I could have just dropped it in the mail without an envelope since it has an address on it.

FLADEWU3TRBK7NRFJTQCRODIWA.jpg

These things also communicate more often than one would think. That’s where drive time estimates come from. It’s claimed that the customer data is anonymized for that purpose. I just put mine in an ESD bag unless I need it for a toll. I figure it probably also reduces battery drain.
Yes, I had a transponder that was not triggering the LED screen at the toll plaza. It would instead remain blank. But the tolls were being recorded . ( never got a violation via USPS). I mailed in the transponder and got a new one in a few days. This one works as it should. The old one lasted about six years.

There isn’t a way to tell with normal toll transponders, but here in California weave got these “flex” units that have a switch to select 1/2/3+ occupants for things like express lanes and HOV toll discounts. If it’s switched, it will beep 1/2/3 times to correspond to the setting. But it also allows me to check if the battery is still providing enough power.

flex_render.png
Oh I see. Here in the Chicago area with Ipass it will record differently if they have to look up your plate number because the unit did not record. It’s one of the ways they figure out your unit may be defective.

Yes, I had a transponder that was not triggering the LED screen at the toll plaza. It would instead remain blank. But the tolls were being recorded . ( never got a violation via USPS). I mailed in the transponder and got a new one in a few days. This one works as it should. The old one lasted about six years.

Sure. I've been through that a few times, but since our cars were registered we saw the toll debited a few weeks later. But it was also an opportunity to get the latest version.

I'm kind of wondering if we'll ever get a national toll system. I guess E-ZPass is the closest thing to it. Not quite sure how it works with E-ZPass in Florida, where I've read they've integrated the systems together.

Oh I see. Here in the Chicago area with Ipass it will record differently if they have to look up your plate number because the unit did not record. It’s one of the ways they figure out your unit may be defective.

I just kept on getting debited weeks later as a license plate check. Never got any messages about whether or not I should get it replaced. We also had two transponders and all our cars were registered.

I do remember once my dad was apoplectic that he got a violation notice. This was long before my parents ever got a transponder themselves (paying cash tolls was still an option). It was only a supposed $7 fine (including the toll), but the actual photo of the license plate was of a different vehicle. It was the same make/model/color, but for some reason they sent this to my father and it was completely messed up. The other thing was that he had no idea how to lodge a protest. I think maybe at their customer service center.

Sure. I've been through that a few times, but since our cars were registered we saw the toll debited a few weeks later. But it was also an opportunity to get the latest version.

I'm kind of wondering if we'll ever get a national toll system. I guess E-ZPass is the closest thing to it. Not quite sure how it works with E-ZPass in Florida, where I've read they've integrated the systems together.

Never happen. Too many states, too many hands being greased. You don’t live in the United States. You live in one of 50 countries.

Never happen. Too many states, too many hands being greased. You don’t live in the United States. You live in one of 50 countries.

We've got a single system in California across maybe 4-5 different agencies. E-ZPass is operating across 21 states. A unified system isn't insurmountable.

My state takes a flash picture regardless of whether the EZPass works or not. Particularly noticeable in the highway speed toll gantries.

I figure they not only have the photos for bill-by-plate but they compare random images to the EZPass data to see how accurately everything's working that day.

I get a discount in my home state if my EZ Pass is read vs if they use my plate data. I should log in more frequently than I do-- I just notice the occasional recharge on my CC statement.

My state takes a flash picture regardless of whether the EZPass works or not. Particularly noticeable in the highway speed toll gantries.

I figure they not only have the photos for bill-by-plate but they compare random images to the EZPass data to see how accurately everything's working that day.

I get a discount in my home state if my EZ Pass is read vs if they use my plate data. I should log in more frequently than I do-- I just notice the occasional recharge on my CC statement.

I've noticed that in Florida too and I've wondered why. They also use EzPass so you could be right about the data checks.

When the entry and exit lanes were equipped with message boards, you had ample warning that transponder was low battery.

flex_render.png
That is cool, learn something everyday. NY did away with car pool discounts (of course they did), now why didn't they issue these tags? It was a great discount, $6 vs. $13 or so. And we benefitted even when my son was a baby when my wife and I crossed.

We've got a single system in California across maybe 4-5 different agencies. E-ZPass is operating across 21 states. A unified system isn't insurmountable.
In the old days a person could get a DUI in one state, and go to another state and get a new license. Imagine that, I know at least 2 people who did that. If I'm not mistaken, there are still 2 states (or there were) who do not share even that kind of info. Why?

Back