Bed Bugs!!

So my daughter just told me they found bed bugs in my young grand son's room. This probably explains the recent "rash" issue they thought he had.
She called an exterminator and their quote was $ 2200.

They just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to big money things happening.

ouch ... $2200 is a lot of money. If it is still cold up there, maybe open all the windows for a few days and stay in a hotel. Come back and see if they are gone! :ROFLMAO:

"you need to cook them out."
Funny, there's an extermination company here featuring Roscoe, the Bedbug (sniffing/detecting) Dog which touts their "cryofreeze" treatments. The images look like liquid CO2 being sprayed all over....the opposite of cooking.

I have no idea how to combat them.

I am a school administrator and deal with this all the time, having families come to me to ask what to do about infestations. What I can tell you is that heat treatment, which is offered by many exterminators, is not effective. The bugs simply go where the heat isn't so bad, even hiding behind insulation. We had a company come out that chemically exterminated them. We had to do a great deal of prep, but their process worked 100%. The did two treatments, including the first and then one follow-up. Bugs were gone and we haven't seen one since. Our house is large, at 6k square feet. We have 9 kids and grandma living with us. So it was a Golden Corral for the bed bugs. I was amazed that the company nailed it in one try. I have recommended them to many others and they all have been 100% satisfied. The owner of the company explained to me at the beginning why heat treatment does not work and many of his clients are folks who have spent lots of money on those ineffective treatments.

The company is Freedom Pest Control in Fishers, Indiana. I would contact them to get a referral to someone in your area that uses the same process. The number is 317-537-0996. The owner's name is Howard. He knows his stuff. Read the reviews and you will see what I mean. They live up to the very best of the reviews.

So my daughter just told me they found bed bugs in my young grand son's room. This probably explains the recent "rash" issue they thought he had.

They just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to big money things happening.

We moved every thing in room to unheated storage for three months in winter (mn) sprayed all electrical

We ended up not wanting to spend thousands of dollars and so we found this product after searching quite a bit. It took multiple applications but it actually did work and they have never returned since. We combined using this with mattress covers especially made to seal up any that might be caught inside mattress fabric etc. It used to be called EcoRaider but now has a slightly different name. It’s not an inexpensive treatment but everything we tried from hardware stores and big box centres did not work. This stuff did. Again, you have to reapply it multiple times until the egg cycles have been extinguished.

I read that bed bugs love living in people homes that have a lot of clutter.

Hotels and motels are the most common place that you'll find bed bugs. When I worked for Illinois DCFS we would work with a lot of people that had bed bugs and always advise them that if they want to keep something like mattress (and box spring) it should be wrapped, Bed Bath and Beyond carries really effective mattress protector kits that end up capturing and starving any bed bugs in a mattress. It's probably the only way that you'll be able to save it if you want to continue to use it.

Bed bugs can be an absolute pain to get rid of, I would advise anyone to prepare themselves to go through multiple treatments over the course of probably at least a month or two before they're fully rid of any infestation. I would advise anyone to look into an extermination provider that is willing to do that at a reasonable cost compared to others who are likely not.

My ex wife is a teacher in an inner city school, and they would receive notices at least once a month about verified cases of bed bug infestations. I was so scared of her bringing them home, as other teachers had in the past. She used to tell me about the cases and I was freaked out.

Growing up we had several cats and a dog. We were very poor, and fitting the stereotype my parents did not put a priority on cleanliness, and the house was always kind of dirty. Our cats were outdoor animals and the dog was always out with us while we played in the yard. We had a major flea infestation for several years. I'd wake up with bites on my body, and you could even see them hop on you at times. We bombed the house a couple times and even tried three days in a row with new bombs every day (we stayed with my grandparents). The bombs did not work, and for some unknown reason the cats never got flea collars. That's why bed bugs scare me so much, fleas were bad enough.. I can't even imagine how bad the bed bugs would be.

The re emergence of bed bugs is largely due to the epa mandating reuction of organophosphate based insecticides. Primarily Diazanon. The newer insecticdesarent stong enough to kill bed bugs and their eggs
Reading about Diazanon it seems its banned for residential use only. My neighbor owns the farm and orchard that borders my property on two sides. I help him out all the time, as he's not mechanically inclined at all. I wind up helping him with every mait. items and fixes for equipment, pretty frequently throughout the season. The chemical shed used for the sprayer is right behind my house, guess I'll go for a walk.

Maybe, but those who travel and have to stay in hotels have a lot to worry about.
I travelled for three years for work. I literally checked everywhere I could before I'd use the room. I was very paranoid because a co worker bought bed bugs home from a hotel he was staying in. I eventually left that career because of the constant travel.

Go buy some de and sprinkle it on the carpet and every surface in the entire house its safe and pet friendly and will work.

Diatomaceous earth

Back