Beck Arnley DW-1

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Where do you buy your Idemitsu? I have gotten to where I like to avoid dealerships because of their douchey attitudes.

I got a gallon jug on amazon, it was very economical. Search Idemitsu ATF Type H-Plus. But they also have it at autozone I believe.
The quart jars seem as expensive as DW-1 from dealer.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Autozone, just one example, sells Idemitsu DW-1.

Which to be accurate is Idemitsu ATF Type H PLUS, per their TDS it "is recommended for service-fill in all Honda and Acura automatic transmissions where ATF DW-1 and Z-1 are specified." Not saying it is anything bad or inferior to Honda DW-1 but they are not the same and the Idemitsu product is not marketed as being identical.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Originally Posted by kschachn
DW-1 is a specification, but outside of Honda no one knows the specifics since like most Asian manufacturers they do not sell the license.

I disagree. DW-1 is a product, not a specification.
It's more of both. DW-1, the Honda Genuine stuff, is a product made to DW-1 specs.

They probably work with the oil company pretty closely to come up with DW-1, but the blender is not allowed to copy the formulation and sell it separately. Since they know more about lubricants they can come awfully close to copying it (if not better) and sell a suitable product. But it is not identical.

The blender could do that but won't. You can be 99% certain that this is a condition of the agreement Honda has with them, not that they don't copy their product or anything close to it, that they don't even produce a competing product. Plenty of blenders would be 100% fine with that requirement. Remember, Honda holds the cards here, not the blender.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
https://www.beckarnley.com/content/...eets/ATF%20Type%20DW1%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

Not approved by Honda but viscosity seems close to Honda DW-1.

From their tech sheet, their wording is quite interesting:

Use this Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid for
Type DW-1 when Type DW-1 automatic transmission
fluid is required for Acura and Honda vehicles.

People don't always note the distinctions, but there's a big difference between licensed by or approved by vs "recommended for" or "suitable for". Here, they use the word "required", strongly suggesting their fluid is more than just "recommended for".

My interpretation, based on grammatical construction, is "required " refers to the specified requirements from Honda for DW-1, not this fluid.

From what I understand many BA products are either re-labeled or re-packaged OE parts.
I bought BA PCVs from RA and though they came in BA boxes they were in original factory sealed Hyundai/Kia plastic bags inside the boxes.

Just took a look at Rockauto to see what they have listed for Honda DW-1 trans oils. They have the B/A trans oil, Aisin trans oil and to my surprise they also list AC Delco Dexron VI. How does the Dexron VI fit in to this?

You must realize that even if the fluid is the exact same as the Honda DW-1, they are never going to say that it is. Manufacturer's agreements with the blenders specify that. The only way to tell if it is the same would be for someone to send virgin samples of both and see what's in them.

Originally Posted by wymi516
Just took a look at Rockauto to see what they have listed for Honda DW-1 trans oils. They have the B/A trans oil, Aisin trans oil and to my surprise they also list AC Delco Dexron VI. How does the Dexron VI fit in to this?

Well at least for my old Honda the owner's manual says ATF-Z1 (which was superseded by DW-1) or Dexron III, which was superseded by Dexron VI. So for my car Dexron VI is accurate.

Where do you buy your Idemitsu? I have gotten to where I like to avoid dealerships because of their douchey attitudes.

I got a gallon jug on amazon, it was very economical. Search Idemitsu ATF Type H-Plus. But they also have it at autozone I believe.
The quart jars seem as expensive as DW-1 from dealer.

It's actually a 5qt bottle. Use it across the board in my 5 speeds.

https://www.beckarnley.com/content/...eets/ATF%20Type%20DW1%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

Not approved by Honda but viscosity seems close to Honda DW-1.

From their tech sheet, their wording is quite interesting:

Use this Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid for
Type DW-1 when Type DW-1 automatic transmission
fluid is required for Acura and Honda vehicles.

People don't always note the distinctions, but there's a big difference between licensed by or approved by vs "recommended for" or "suitable for". Here, they use the word "required", strongly suggesting their fluid is more than just "recommended for".

My interpretation, based on grammatical construction, is "required " refers to the specified requirements from Honda for DW-1, not this fluid.

You say a key thing, "grammatical construction", and I think they chose their words very specifically. Why not just say "This Premium ATF ... is recommended for use in DW-1 applications" ? That's the kind of wording Valvoline, for instance, uses.

Anyone here ever have any issues using atf other than Honda dealership oem DW1? I looked at this table and the dealership stuff's add pack is completely different from all the "clones":
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...vehicle-atf-comparison-chart#Post5332636

I'd have to check my mileage, but I've been using Idemitsu H+ for a couple of years now in everything I own that calls for Z1/DW1. No complaints.

Anyone here ever have any issues using atf other than Honda dealership oem DW1? I looked at this table and the dealership stuff's add pack is completely different from all the "clones":

My 2012 Odyssey used DW1 for the first 40k, then Pennzoil Platinum LV until 109k, and a few weeks ago I changed to Amalie Synthetic. No problems and still shifts like new.

You can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also good stuff

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also good stuff

This has been my experience in my old Honda as well.

Bernardi auto parts is often a better source for OEM Honda fluids than Amazon.

Dave

Back