Beck Arnley 041-8162 5,210 miles cut open!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

As promised in another thread here is my oil filter cut open. 5210 miles of use 115 hours total 17 of which were idle hours. This filter was in use for my 3,800 mile Michigan road trip last month with my home brew synthetic blend. Developed a start up clatter about 1,000 miles into the OCI that persisted till the end. ADBV was a little stiff, filter came out nearly completely empty. It's worth mentioning this truck LOVES to suck filters dry when shut off. Replaced with a FL910S.

Sorry for the flash glare in some of the photos it was dusk when I did the oil change this evening I have everything drying out right now I will post a couple more pictures tomorrow.

Virgin cut of this filter found HERE.

I'd say it looks good aside from the adbv condition you mention. Thank You for c&p sir.
34.gif
10.gif

Looks like a bootlegged Tokyo Roki with the paint/label scheme but it's Made in Korea apparently. Is this related to the joint Mann/Hyundai filter deal they have going on?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Where can Beck Arnley's be bought?

This one came from Advance auto with another online order, the other one I have came from Rock Auto. Well built but I won't bother again. It was a curiosity purchase. No drama to see here despite seeing 100# of oil pressure a few times cold. Truck runs down the highway with ~82# of oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Surprisingly dark oil for 3800miles...
I'm at 7000miles right now on the accord and the oil looks like olive oil

I'm not sure where you're getting 3800 miles from. This had 5210 miles on it. Also it had a hefty dose of moly added by mixing this blend of oils that I used in a bottle of LiquiMoly 10w40 MOS2 oil from the previous change that had some moly settled out on the bottom of the container. The oil was charcoal grey when it was added to the truck. Also with 322,450 miles and counting I'm sure some combustion gasses find their way past the pistons.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
any photos of this truck?

All dirty in this one, it was taken about halfway through a 10 HR day in the woods back home in Michigan.

Keep in mind that Beck Arnley resells other brand filters.

At times, I have bought their filters and found that they are simply reboxed filters, where the filter itself has the original brand stamped on it.

Based on the gasket, this does not look like a Korean Hammel-Mann filter.

i love those trucks. one of the best toyota engines every made. i had an 87 4Runner for about 10 years... never had any serious issues with it. I was using the cheaper type fiber-glass resign toyota filters (90915-YZZB5) which was probably overkill.
One thing I will say about these trucks, is that they are not very fun on road trips. the engine feels like it's over-revving on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
i love those trucks. one of the best toyota engines every made. i had an 87 4Runner for about 10 years... never had any serious issues with it. I was using the cheaper type fiber-glass resign toyota filters (90915-YZZB5) which was probably overkill.
One thing I will say about these trucks, is that they are not very fun on road trips. the engine feels like it's over-revving on the highway.

I actually just got back from a ~3,800 mile road trip in this one. They do turn some RPM on the highway with a relatively short (stock) tire the 4.10 gear ratio and a 0.85 overdrive however the engine doesn't make enough power to really pull any more tire or any less (numerically) gear ratio. Mine with a 235/75/15 tire (upsize from the stock 225/75/15) turns 3400 ish at 78 MPH. But it's much happier there than my 1976 Chevy K10 truck with a 3.73 gear 1:1 4speed with a 31" tire, that truck seems like it's crying for mercy at 3,000@72 MPH, where as the Toyota engine is smooth as silk turning even faster. Apples and oranges I suppose.

I've had this particular truck about 6 years and I've had a 22RE powered truck of some flavor in the stable since 1997, love that little engine. Provided you don't severely overheat one, coolant wash it when The timing chain guide breaks and the chain eats through the timing cover to water, or run it out of oil they're pretty much indescribable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back