Beautiful new 2016 Mazda MX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice. I see a smidge of Z3 roadster and jag influences.
It was supposed to be light weight again - what's the kerb this puppy?

Yes...I think they've sort of combined a lot of styles from various roadsters. It almost looks like a mini-Jaguar.
I would be very surprised if this Mazda isn't a big hit when it becomes available next year.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Looks nice. I see a smidge of Z3 roadster and jag influences.
It was supposed to be light weight again - what's the kerb this puppy?

The stats have not come out yet as fact. But Mazda had apparently previously stated that it will be about 200 plus pounds lighter than the previous model.

The Miata is one of those iconic cars that doesn't need restyling. They could still be selling the original 1989 body style because it was just so "right".

I see the Miata being in the same vein as the old VW Beetle.
It never needed to be restyled because the design is timeless and beautiful simplicity , not to mention that it certainly has the
entertaining sports car handling and performance from the say it was released in 1990. But the consumer wants new so Mazda is forced to offer some of that freshness up, even if it didn't need it.

The great thing is that the car will only weigh in at 2200 pounds and be about the same dimensions as the original car from 1990, so it is going back to its roots. I believe that you will even be able to buy this car with a manual steering rack as well!
I want that car! Now the only question is the price....

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I like the fact that they did not pork it up and dump a V6 in it like Acura did with the TSX.

Yes....the Mazda MX5 design group as done a good job not giving in to the "more horsepower is always better" crowd.
However, the rumor is that they MAY be offering two engines this time. No, not a V-6 or anything like that, but I've read that possibly a 1.5 and a 2.0. Others have guessed a turbo in one. I doubt that myself.
After having driven a Miata many times, the fun is in the balance of all it's parts.
Really a car that DOES put a smile on ones face when driving it. It's never been about horsepower and excess weight (thankfully).

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I see the Miata being in the same vein as the old VW Beetle.
It never needed to be restyled because the design is timeless and beautiful simplicity , not to mention that it certainly has the
entertaining sports car handling and performance from the say it was released in 1990. But the consumer wants new so Mazda is forced to offer some of that freshness up, even if it didn't need it.

The great thing is that the car will only weigh in at 2200 pounds and be about the same dimensions as the original car from 1990, so it is going back to its roots. I believe that you will even be able to buy this car with a manual steering rack as well!
I want that car! Now the only question is the price....

I've read somewhere that it'll be about $28-30K.
Not cheap, but not nearly as much as comparable roadsters in this class.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Pull off the Mazda emblems and tell everyone it is a BMW!

Or slap the BMW logo on and charge 2x the price.

Typical BMW owners will be shocked with the reliability.
smile.gif

In all honesty I think it looks far better than any BMW convertible anyway...regardless of price or emblem.
I'll wait to see one in person to be certain...but so far this car really is beautiful.

wasn't this co-designed with alfa Romeo, who would have a new Alfa Spyder as the twin of this car?(similar to the BRZ/FRS/AE86)

or did that deal fall apart?

Last edited:
If Mazda makes a coupe version(as rumored) and pumps up the Skyactiv I4 to @250 hp I'll buy one yesterday. I'm liking Mazda more and more. And unlike BMW with their M235i, Mazda doesn't make a limited slip a $2895 port-installed option...

Originally Posted By: earlyre
wasn't this co-designed with alfa Romeo, who would have a new Alfa Spyder as the twin of this car?(similar to the BRZ/FRS/AE86)

or did that deal fall apart?

I'm not sure but I do recall something to that effect did occur.
Miata.net has all kinds of info about that.

I'm not a fan of the round brake lights and the tire/wheel combo looks undersized with no ability to go larger due to the sizes of the wheel wells. Otherwise, it is pretty good looking. It seems that I am in the minority in thinking that the original design was not very appealing and was rather cute/"chickish", with the most recent body styling being just bearable as a man-car (albeit still well off the mark of being manly).

But if given a choice between this new MX5 and a FR-S/BRZ roadster, I would go with the Scion/Subaru simply on styling.

Quote:
It seems that I am in the minority in thinking that the original design was not very appealing and was rather cute/"chickish", with the most recent body styling being just bearable as a man-car (albeit still well off the mark of being manly).

As I read this, I was thinking you must be a Pontiac Firebird owner, close enough
grin.gif

Different strokes for different folks! I like the styling, no point in over selling the performance with aggressive styling like some have. The original was manly enough when you were behind the wheel. Made you feel like your are half way to these cars, if you really got on it in the corners.
Fangio_W196_Closeup.jpg

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I'm not a fan of the round brake lights and the tire/wheel combo looks undersized with no ability to go larger due to the sizes of the wheel wells. Otherwise, it is pretty good looking. It seems that I am in the minority in thinking that the original design was not very appealing and was rather cute/"chickish", with the most recent body styling being just bearable as a man-car (albeit still well off the mark of being manly).

But if given a choice between this new MX5 and a FR-S/BRZ roadster, I would go with the Scion/Subaru simply on styling.

I was not a fan at all until the last (the "NC") version before this one came out. Even when I saw it I was thinking it was borderline attractive.

Then I drove one.

Game over...I fell in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back