Beautiful A-10 WartHog in black.

They should do them all in black. ;)
A-10_Blacksnakes-8.jpg

Built to get in close where the ground fighting is going on, take out the tanks and mobile guns, and almost anything else requiring some special attention that is more than what infantry normally come prepared for. Take a licking and keep on ticking.

Battles come in a huge variety of forces, and just like it was a bad idea at one time to not put guns on fighters, it would be a bad idea to remove this tool form the militaries tool box. It is a platform that has proven combat worthy, and deserves the respect of spending money on it to keep upgrading it as upgrades become available.

Sure some can argue that in some certain combat situations it is not a good fit, and they would be correct. But it would be foolish to think that the situations where it is a good fit will never happen.

It was a valuable tool in the past. And while it would be nice to think that, as the song "The strangest dream" goes "the world agreed to never fight again." Real life, unfortunately is not like that. It is, unfortunately, likely, that some time in the future it will be needed again. We got to have that big stick along with the carrot. And this is one stick we should keep. Personally I hope it never again has to be used in real combat, and also would like to see all our weapons retired because of aging out from not being used for too long. Remember, that tank, or mobile gun, or machine gun bunker, is manned by some poor guys that are only there because there leaders made them. And when that target that has to be destroyed is taken out, along with the soldiers being lost, some lost a husband, or father, and or son, and or brother. But you do not throw away the big sticks. There are too many that would be temped into action if we did.

Last edited:
When you look up BADAXX in the dictionary there are no words......just a pic of an A-10 .... and the name "WartHog," come on! Does not get better than that! I can only dream of the inner feeling of relief for our ground troops to see one of them coming into the battlefield!

• Love
Reactions: GON
It's a gun with wings.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

Dubbed Warthog, Hog or just Hawg, the A-10 Thunderbolt II is, basically, an airplane built around the GAU-8 Avenger 30-mm hydraulically driven seven-barrel Gatling-type cannon. The Avenger cannon is the Hog primary weapon and is able to fire 3,900 bullets per minute.

I flew years ago.
I was directed to "go ahead of" two A-10 Warthogs when I was taxiing into position at Glen L. Martin airport in Little River, MD.
I was told they'd take lots of time going over checklists.
Me and my 1957 era C-150 (in faded aquamarine blue -as ugly as a Chrysler product of the same era) creaked around the pair of Hogs.
I took off.
The Hogs must've been at the end of their checklist because as I was climbing to 3,000 feet (training altitude) the two of them bore up my rear end and flew maybe 10' over my head. I could feel my diminished lift. Since I wasn't forced into the ground by the man-made microburst afforded by the "Pair o' Pigs" I figured it was a practical joke they'd practiced lots of times.......hmmmm.

And that Avenger 30mm Gatling gun.....I want one for my car.

I flew years ago.
I was directed to "go ahead of" two A-10 Warthogs when I was taxiing into position at Glen L. Martin airport in Little River, MD.
I was told they'd take lots of time going over checklists.
Me and my 1957 era C-150 (in faded aquamarine blue -as ugly as a Chrysler product of the same era) creaked around the pair of Hogs.
I took off.
The Hogs must've been at the end of their checklist because as I was climbing to 3,000 feet (training altitude) the two of them bore up my rear end and flew maybe 10' over my head. I could feel my diminished lift. Since I wasn't forced into the ground by the man-made microburst afforded by the "Pair o' Pigs" I figured it was a practical joke they'd practiced lots of times.......hmmmm.

And that Avenger 30mm Gatling gun.....I want one for my car.

In another thread I mentioned that I interviewed at a few companies. One company owned a small aircraft manufacturer and the packet I got during my interview included company discounts on those planes. But they were also a defense contractor making weapons. When I got back to grad school after the interview I was talking about my trip to an instructor along with the company discounts. The instructor asked, "So you can get a discount on a Patriot missile?" I'd settle for an inert Sidewinder.

Back