Beater Elantra interior got some TLC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaned the interior (well most of it - have to do the floor mats tomorrow), and detailed a bit after a long time.
Stoner's glass cleaner for glass.
Einszett (1Z) Cockpit Premium for dash / console / trim...
...Still looks pretty ok for having almost 215k miles, I think.

I'd pay more for an interior like that... without video touch screens, and with good visibility of the outside world.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd pay more for an interior like that... without video touch screens, and with good visibility of the outside world.
I definitely have to agree 100% with this.

Thanks for the comments!
smile.gif

Yeah it does have great visibility, in all directions.
The Bimmer also does, though. Very straight horizontal bottom edges on side windows, and high windshields.

Wife's Mazda 6? front visibility is great, but sides and back not so much...But then it has nannies. blind spot alert, rear view camera, rear cross traffic/motion alert, front auto stop/brake for objects, etc, etc.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
That looks WAY too nice to be a beater! Man it looks new!!

This is what I was thinking! Good job OP, how does the outside look?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I definitely have to agree 100% with this.

+1. A nice, sensible layout without any crazy stuff going on or spaceship command center styling.

Looks great for the miles. We have a beater Spectra at work that's about the same age with a little more than half the miles and the inside looks WAY worse than that.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
how does the outside look?

Unfortunately the horizontal surfaces of outside (hood, roof and trunk) have clear coat failing in patches
frown.gif

Rest looks very good still (car is black)...

My new goal for this car is 300k. I am having a VERY hard time deciding if I should reward it with a cheapo paint job or not...
(local guy says he can do it for like $300... Maaco is also there).
IDK if it's worth it or not to repaint; I do have a LOT of respect for this car, thought. Has been rock solid and very dependable with only 1 major repair so far. (radiator replaced). Oh and the washer fluid pump just went out, but I think I can probably DIY it...

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: gregk24
how does the outside look?

Unfortunately the horizontal surfaces of outside (hood, roof and trunk) have clear coat failing in patches
frown.gif

Rest looks very good still (car is black)...

My new goal for this car is 300k. I am having a VERY hard time deciding if I should reward it with a cheapo paint job or not...
(local guy says he can do it for like $300... Maaco is also there).
IDK if it's worth it or not to repaint; I do have a LOT of respect for this car, thought. Has been rock solid and very dependable with only 1 major repair so far. (radiator replaced). Oh and the washer fluid pump just went out, but I think I can probably DIY it...
If you are keeping it till 300k, I'd spend the $300 and get it painted. It has been faithful all this time, so why not reward it with a paintjob!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Looks great! Good job.

I like his interior better than the interior on our 2013 elantra.

thanks !
To me this interior is so straightforward.
Both elantra and focus got too crazy with their later interiors. Trying too hard, and not going anywhere much...

But look at how simple the interior of wife's 2014 Mazda 6 - they still kept the simple look and functionality - modern but looks "old" in a good way...
(It's all GRAY and BLACK - photo looks bluish - bad white balance on camera)

and the Bimmer interior - again LOVE it, for the simpleness.

Last edited:
Looks good, especially for that kind of use! I had a Chevy truck that the washer pump went out. I took it out and sprayed the inside with WD40 and then hooked up the electrical to it and unhooked the hose to make it so it's first pump wasn't oilly on the windshield. Worked like a charm.

According to symptoms, it's either the pump or the electrical wire harness has come undone.
As the windshield wiper ARE working when I try to wash the windshield...
I will have to remove the pass. side headlight to take a look.

Might give it a try on the next off day.

Here's the state of the roof vs. side (as u can see it still looks pretty decent after a rain-wash")

I plasti-dipped the trunk some time ago just for kicks, and did a horrible job (but some people think it's not that bad).
Hood looks slightly less worse than roof.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Lid exterior - that's why it loos like arse.

I have heard of people doing an entire car in plasti dip. I can't imagine it lasting.

Looks good, but those fat steering wheel covers on both Elantra and your E46 still look out weird to me, alas I realize this is a personal thing.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back