Beater car oil recommendations

Picking up a 2005 Kia Spectra with a 2.0 for a spare car. The owner made a deal I couldn’t say no too. The car was used for commuting 170,000 miles and bought new by them. I have no clue if it was maintained properly or not. Would HM oil be best for this application? It will mostly be a school car for my teenage son and a gas saver when we need to run around. I was thinking of a Fram ph9688 and Valvoline 10w30 but I see that for 30 cents more I can use Pennzoil 10w30 HM. All from Walmart and under $25. Any benefits to HM oils as I have never used them?

High mileage oils are suppose to be a bandaid for consumption and leaks by treating seals and being marginally thicker in viscosity. There is not really much of a difference otherwise that shows up on a normal oil analysis.

A high mileage oil may prevent consumption and leaks from starting and it definitely won't hurt. In that price range, supertech full synthetic high mileage wouldn't be a bad alternative either.

Any benefits to HM oils as I have never used them?

Here are a few previous threads on the benefits or characteristics of high-mileage oils:

I am conflicted on the philosophy of cheap car, cheap oil. I mean if anything, it probably needs a better oil more so than a better car. More detergents to clean, a better film to protect worn parts, etc.

I run a name brand full syn in my $2300 commuter because I want it to last as long as possible. Granted supertech may serve that purpose as well as a name brand, but that's another conversation. The only scenario I see where a cheaper oil might be a better choice is if the car needs top offs frequently.

we had a 2006 spectra bought new , started life on 5w20 then bumped up to valvoline syn blend 5w30.
The engine was quieter on the 30 weight when fully warmed up.
We had that car 12 years never had a lick of problems with it even the a/c was still ice cold and never topped up.
Also used factory oil filters for around the first three years then went to the white can purolaters and supertech.
Never ever had engine noise from using these filters

A friend of mine has an 06 spectre with 300k kilometres on it, only been fed whatever cheap oil the quick lube place gives her for the past 12 years she’s owned it. She just had a local mechanic do a thorough inspection over it as she plans for a few big road trips and he said besides some new shocks, it’s still in great mechanical shape

I'd use any store brand 15W-40 CK-4 rated oil that was cheapest and call it a day.

Planning on doing that with my old accord starting with next oil change. It has 248k miles on it currently.

Castrol/Pennzoil/Vavoline HM, or forgo the HM seal swell and additional detergents and use ST/Kirkland synthetic. I think MaxLife Syn Blend is a fine choice for older cars.

Heck, if your local Walmart has Havoline Lifelong Syn, that would also be a great choice.

I asked him what oil he used but he just took it to whatever shop was convenient when it was due. I ended up buying the oil change special at Advance which was a jug of Fram HM 10w30 and a Fram Force filter. $23.99. My son is going to learn how to service his car this weekend with me. I pretty excited about teaching him a life skill that will save him some money.

Use Supertech Cf2/SG I have used it for 3 years in KTM 500 excf. If it works in a 2019 bike, I'm sure it's fine for a beater. 380 hours on the clock

If there are leaks or weeps then a HM oil could be beneficial. The Havoline Long Life or Valvoline Maxlife would be good choices or any major brand for that matter. Find the one that’s on sale.

I'd use any store brand 15W-40 CK-4 rated oil that was cheapest and call it a day.

Planning on doing that with my old accord starting with next oil change. It has 248k miles on it currently.
Agreed. Though I may spend just a bit more and use Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W-40, or even consider Rotella T4.

Back