Bears are back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I don't know if they are black or brown bears. The ones we've had this year are 1) HUGE, and 2) brown in color.

Nope, can't hunt bear in the city limits (even during hunting season. They won't trap them either.

Brown (Grizzly) bears have officially been extinct in Colorado for a few decades. There is the occasional unconfirmed sighting although there are also big foot and UFO sightings.
grin2.gif

You prolly saw a pair of well feed black bears.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Their great grandparents may have lived there before you...

Yeah, but the way the country is turning, immigrants have more rights than those who lived there for generations....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650

A baribal is about 1/3 to 1/5 the size of any brown bear species, including the grizzly. I suppose in the dark a black bear can look much larger than it really is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: XS650

A baribal is about 1/3 to 1/5 the size of any brown bear species, including the grizzly. I suppose in the dark a black bear can look much larger than it really is.
wink.gif

One of the bears had it's front paws on the top of the fence and it's head was above the fence. They were LARGE. Several people have seen them in the daylight and confirmed how big they are. Surprisingly, the fat [censored] can squeeze through the tiniest openings.

I talked to a neighbor who said last year the DOW trapped 3 bears and moved them to Durango, so we're all compiling a "file" on the current intruders so hopefully they'll get these beasts outta here.

Here's the damage path!

bear2h.jpg

bear1l.jpg

Black Bear is a bit of a misnomer, like Gray Wolf. This species of bear, Ursus americanus,can be black, brown, yellowish, reddish, even so pale as to appear silver or white.
They are easily distinguished from Brown Bears (Grizzlies) by their smaller size, lack of humped shoulders, and "roman nose". When they're standing on all fours, their booty is higher than their front shoulders.
Possibly surprising, but black bears attack more people than Grizzlies do. Of course, there are a lot more of them around to interact with humans.
Usually, if a Black bear appears very interested in you, he's considering you as a meal especially if he follows you intently.

Brown bears and Grizzlies are now considered the same species, Ursus arctos.

I live in north of downtown in a heavily developed, older neighborhood.

The fence is 5 feet tall.

Mr Google sez Black Bears can be six feet tall standing on their hind legs.

It would be cool if Grizzlys actually have survived in Colorado all these years (at least from here it would be
grin2.gif
) , but I doubt they have.

Don't give up hope, maybe a few will wander down from Wyoming in the future.
We now have some wolves in central and eastern Washington, more illegal immigrants, though these are from Canada, and seem to be working hard for a living....

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Brown bears and Grizzlies are now considered the same species, Ursus arctos.

We have brown bears in Europe, but no grizzlies. As far as I know, just like the Kodiak bear, the grizzly is still considered a subspecies of the brown bear.

Surprisingly, the fat [censored] can squeeze through the tiniest openings.

They are wearing very thick fur coats!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Surprisingly, the fat [censored] can squeeze through the tiniest openings.

They are wearing very thick fur coats!
LOL.gif

Are you saying the bears are the size of Zsa Zsa Gabor under all that fur?
grin2.gif

You could ask him....

Oh yeah, there's this little tidbit: "According to a study by bear biologist Thomas Smith, bear spray halted aggressive bear behavior a whopping 92 percent of the time. Guns, on the other hand, were successful only 67 percent of the time."

Is that second bear doing yoga?

I think it's a new species, the hover bear.

bear-attack-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back