Be Reasonable, Polite, and Fair, but Be Firm.

Your on a website where we discuss oil changes.
OCD is the least of our collective problems....:)
Haha being OCD is a requirement to be on a website where oil changes are a topic of discussion! We constantly freak out over group 3 base stocks, how many ppm of moly our fave oil has, if the container has additive fallout on the bottom, if we noticed startup tick, if our filters have louvers, etc.

Yep, were a "special" bunch!!:D

Not sure if you remember my '16 SRT black chrome wheels getting damaged. Cost to replace would have been ~8K. Dealer asked if I'd be OK with getting them refinished by the place that does the Porsche wheels, and if I wasn't satisfied, they'd go for full replacement. The refinishing place did a great job and so everybody won.

When we had my wife's tire repaired recently the tech used a plastic scraper to remove the weights and adhesive and while it took a bit of work, he didn't seem to mind, commenting that this stuff (the adhesive) is a real bugger to get off. They have a top of the line mostly automated Hunter tire machine as well, which does a fantastic job of dismounting/mounting.
You know its kind of aggravating to think about how the automakers just slowly phased out the full size spare tires and rim so many years back. Greed. Consumers had little recourse but to sit back and take it. I laugh when I think how my long gone dad responded. He would string a salesman along for a while and agree on purchase. Just when signing time came he would pop with "oh, wait a bit. I expect a full size spare with rim or the deal is off. Salesman would balk and stomp feet and run off and finally come back and agree. He got away with that a few times but it was soon over and we all had to accept the little "may pop" spare tires. They would squeal like little pigs today if they had to supply another of the very expensive rims most new cars come with now. 🤯

Last edited:
Haha being OCD is a requirement to be on a website where oil changes are a topic of discussion! We constantly freak out over group 3 base stocks, how many ppm of moly our fave oil has, if the container has additive fallout on the bottom, if we noticed startup tick, if our filters have louvers, etc.

Yep, were a "special" bunch!!:D
maybe we have OCD all wrong. Could O.C.D. really mean Oil Change Derangement ? LOL :)

Amazing that chain like that would not have plastic scrapers.
Right?!

That’s what I thought.

But, then, think how the average wheel looks. A lot of people never clean their wheels or even glance at them.

Think how many customers’ wheels they’ve gotten away with damaging.

But these alloy wheels are painted a bright silver, get dirty easily, and gleam when clean, so I wash them every week (they’re quite easy to clean - just a spritz of Simple Green and a rag), when I wash her truck.

The scratches were quite noticeable when standing next to the truck. And it’s less than a year old. It would have bothered me to leave them be.

John, you did good. I've had similar experiences and results over the years.

Going at it screaming and fist pounding in situations like this gets you nowhere good.

Most people don't even bother to clean the outside of their wheels! 😂
Brake dust adds character 😉 For real, the brake dust on my gunpowder Chrysler 300 wheels gave them kind of a pretty bronze color!

For real though, I’d be aggravated with that as well. No, my wheels aren’t special but also please don’t gouge them either!

John, you did good. I've had similar experiences and results over the years.

Going at it screaming and fist pounding in situations like this gets you nowhere good.
That would be my wife's first reaction. She always says "ok I will keep my cool, under control and nice." Then soon as discussion starts, BLAM! Fangs are out. 😳

It's the inside of the wheel, it'll quickly be covered by brake dust. tbh, this is a bit OCD. Those stick on weights are impossible to get off for a reason.
I'd be more worried that whatever clear coating is on the wheels has now been scratched and driving it in the winter will quickly corrode the aluminum in that area.

I'd be more worried that whatever clear coating is on the wheels has now been scratched and driving it in the winter will quickly corrode the aluminum in that area.
Luckily not many snow events down here. My 14-year-old Tacoma wheels have only just started to show some corrosion spots.

And, they don’t salt the roads here. They do spray a de-icer solution. Not sure if that contains salt.

Doesn’t it just SUCK that we have to fight, tooth-and-nail, for us just to have something, anything, repaired with care and Pride nowadays?
Sorry, just ranting……..We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.😎
Tell me about it. I just went thru this weeks latest OREAL (better like gunfight at the OK Corral) with local Walmart Tire center. I have no choice cause the town I am trying to move out of has almost zero places to have tire work done and I make myself ENDURE Walmart when I do not feel well enough to drive the 25 miles to the nearest "competent / sane" mechanics I know of or trust.:( Doesn't help my attitude as this is my 2nd trip for a different tire repair there in the last 5 to 6 days! Ugh. All kind of construction work around dropping nails, screws and all sorts of tire damaging things in the streets. I am sorry too. If I didn't rant to folks I know understand what we have to deal with now a days I would stroke out!

Some people actually clean the inside of their wheels.
No normal flipper would do that.

063.JPG

2005 VW wheel

Not sure if you remember my '16 SRT black chrome wheels getting damaged. Cost to replace would have been ~8K. Dealer asked if I'd be OK with getting them refinished by the place that does the Porsche wheels, and if I wasn't satisfied, they'd go for full replacement. The refinishing place did a great job and so everybody won.

When we had my wife's tire repaired recently the tech used a plastic scraper to remove the weights and adhesive and while it took a bit of work, he didn't seem to mind, commenting that this stuff (the adhesive) is a real bugger to get off. They have a top of the line mostly automated Hunter tire machine as well, which does a fantastic job of dismounting/mounting.
Yeah, but your tires always look nasty anyway … reminds me of Aberdeen in January … 😷

I bet that $200 is the retail customer price. NTB probably pays half that or less but at least they made it right. I had the Lexus dealer put a scratch around the circumference of all 5 of the brand new wheels on my wife’s GX460 when we got it and I swapped the OE tires before we took delivery. They replaced them all with new wheels but I expected better attention to detail from the Lexus dealer.

I bet that $200 is the retail customer price. NTB probably pays half that or less but at least they made it right. I had the Lexus dealer put a scratch around the circumference of all 5 of the brand new wheels on my wife’s GX460 when we got it and I swapped the OE tires before we took delivery. They replaced them all with new wheels but I expected better attention to detail from the Lexus dealer.
Lots of people trust the dealership to take better care of the vehicle than anywhere else they could take it. But your experience is an example of why that’s not always the case.

Im with @gregk24 - I deeply distrust ANY dealership or mechanic, and make every attempt to avoid when possible and do my own service.

In the past, I have trusted service centers to do a good job with tire changes on my Tacoma (it has 242,000 miles and is on its 4th set of tires since new), and have been rewarded with damaged wheels (chips, scratches, paint knocked off by impact guns, wrong lug nuts installed once when they rounded the edges off the lug nuts by a 100 HP impact gun and I had to go back and complain).

With the wife’s new 4Runner, I’ve decided I’m Not going to stand for her wheels being damaged by hacks.

Back