BC RCMP apparently shoot member of Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada...s-to-avenge-him

Originally Posted By: National Post

DAWSON CREEK — Anonymous, a loosely associated international network of activist and hacktivist entities, says it will use “vengeance if necessary” to seek justice for a man shot dead by police in Dawson Creek Thursday outside a public consultation meeting for the Site C dam.

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C., a police watchdog, said the man had his face covered when he was shot by an RCMP officer. It will not comment on whether he was wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, widely used by Anonymous, which claims the victim was one of its own.

The refusal to comment comes despite a growing number of online reports and social media chatter linking the victim to the group.

A group called Operation Anon Down posted an Anonymous statement online Saturday calling for justice and vengeance, and posting a list of targets.

The group claimed the man was “the fourth Anon to be slain by security forces” in the past four years, listing deaths in Turkey, Egypt, Palestine and now B.C.

“As in the past, Anonymous will not stand idly by while our own are cut down in mask,” said the statement. “We will most certainly avenge one of our own when they are cut down in the streets while protesting the earth wrecking environmental policies of the Canadian government.”

It continued to state that the first steps taken would be to identify the police officer and “thoroughly dox him” and release the information on the Internet. A dox is a search for an individual’s identifying information.

Other targets posted by the group included the RCMP’s national website, the local website of the Dawson Creek RCMP detachment, and a trio of RCMP Twitter accounts.

The RCMP national website and Dawson Creek detachment site were both down Sunday morning, and a Twitter post from Anonymous included an online reporting site showing the servers down.

Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney’s office said it was monitoring the situation, and the Mounties did not respond to questions. The website of Canada’s spy agency, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, was recently taken down by a cyberattack.

IIO spokeswoman Kellie Kilpatrick said investigators with the police watchdog were working with RCMP and the B.C. Coroners Service on the case.

When asked whether investigators were also working with CSIS, Kilpatrick said: “No comment.”

Operation Anon Down said in a later tweet that the person shot “was part of a First Nation Anonymous cell. RCMP knew this.”

Twitter user Jaymack9 tweeted on Thursday afternoon that an Anonymous splinter group was to attend the Site C meeting in Dawson Creek that night.

Earlier that day he tweeted: “Ready 4 our little showdown? Our people r going 2 b in place at that meeting in Dawson Creek.”

Jaymack9, who Postmedia News has been unable to contact, hasn’t posted anything since Thursday.

The IIO began investigating the shooting early Friday and later that day a video emerged that begins just after police shot the man, who the B.C. Coroners Service has yet to identify publicly

When reached Sunday, Kilpatrick said she had just come from the coroners service and said “the family has probably requested the wait so that they can contact other family members who may be in other places.”

Barb McLintock, a coroners service spokeswoman, said the victim’s name will likely be released Monday.

Kilpatrick said the man was wearing a mask and had approached officers in an aggressive manner. In a brief interview Sunday she said she would not comment on the mask the man was wearing or disclose who has that mask now. Investigators have not confirmed any link between the social media posts and the incident.

The investigators are primarily interested in the accounts of two officers, said Kilpatrick. The first is the witnessing officer who is obliged to give statements to the IIO. The other is the “subject officer” who shot the man. That officer is not compelled to give a statement. Officers in that position sometimes speak to legal counsel before deciding whether to talk to the IIO, Kilpatrick said.

“I don’t know what this subject officer intends to do,” she said Friday.

The BC Hydro meeting was the last of five public consultations on the Site C dam held this month. The hearings have attracted protesters — primarily representing First Nations and environmental groups. Those groups have also filed lawsuits to try to stop construction.

A spokesman for Amnesty International, one of the groups opposed to Site C, said he had never heard of an Anonymous group protesting or attending meetings about the project.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Your cops kill unarmed civilians, too?

I think things have been a bit tense since Justin Bourque IMHO. Supposedly this individual had a knife.

I bet their citizens don't kill other unarmed citizens anywhere near the number that we do here in the states! So it's not just cops here as some seem to think. Wonder how many murders per citizen vs killing by cop here. Where is the uproar or snide remarks over that?

the first link gives me a "please login popup"
when you hit the corner X
it then redirects to the front page.. what a bad website..

or did anonymous hack it already (lol)

it does however open fine if you open it in a private window.

Originally Posted By: ls973800

I bet their citizens don't kill other unarmed citizens anywhere near the number that we do here in the states! So it's not just cops here as some seem to think. Wonder how many murders per citizen vs killing by cop here. Where is the uproar or snide remarks over that?

So, it is OK for cops to kill unarmed civilians because civilians kill unarmed civilians, too?

What kind of a logic is that?

Why does the media always have to include First Nation Indigenous legal proceedings that accompany all major construction projects in Canada in their reporting?

Are they trying to connect the dots or stir the pot?

The affected "Bands" (they hate that handle), did not file a "law suit" or class action, because there is no damage.

Historical land use including recreation and pleasure will be addresses as part of the compensation package.

First Nation Indigenous and Aboriginal groups in Canada are Indian, Inuit and Metis.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is going on in Pa, looks like a turf war between the police and black community.
Maybe the cops (of all skin color) are getting tired of being shot too?

Canadians are not going to tolerate their police being killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JFK
Has Anonymous ever shot a police officer ever?????

I'm pretty sure some anonymous people have "shot police officers" before
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls973800

So, it is OK for cops to kill unarmed civilians because civilians kill unarmed civilians, too?

What kind of a logic is that?

Pretty obvious that I never said it was OK! What kind of "logic" or reading comprehension could draw you to that conclusion?

I pointed out that the killing of innocent citizens by other citizens don't get the attention or media play that happens when a cop happens to be the one who did the killing. 10 people were killed in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend by their own "citizens", including a 7 year old boy who was watching fire works. At least it came down from 16 killed the year before.

Any national attention to this? Any demonstrations or riots because of this? I guess to many those lives don't matter as much?

I guess those lives weren't as newsworthy or deserving of mob demonstrations like we see when a cop is involved recently.

Cops have a different status in the society than citizens do. They are part of the state sanctioned forces that can use violence against people.

Hence, their actions have to be scrutinized to maintain checks and balances.

Cops have a different status in the society than citizens do. They are part of the state sanctioned forces that can use violence against people.

Hence, their actions have to be scrutinized to maintain checks and balances.

And they should be. They also put their lives on the line every time they interact with potential bad guys hundreds of thousands a day. They bat .9999999% in doing the right thing. But folks like you who (and me) who are lucky we are right 90% of the time want to hold them to an impossible standards...Again yes the consequences are more fateful..but they are human.

I don't expect you to follow this logic.

As was mentioned 16 people were killed by the vermin in chicago by people you couldn't even dream of dealing with...hence its easy for you th throw stones

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

I'm pretty sure some anonymous people have "shot police officers" before
crazy2.gif

I'm pretty sure they have NOT! Not really their style. A bit too uncouth and entirely too pedestrian; also tends to not be very anonymous for very long.
Ask the boys over at HBGary Federal (a California based security firm) how they roll, that is more typical of how retaliation looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back