"BC" 5w40 no longer made in Belgium?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.
shocked.gif

The bottle has been relabeled, slightly. The words "Unlock the Power" now appear under the "Syntec" label on the front.

Batch# A0523121323 A4

Meets specs:
API SL/SJ/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
BMW Longlife 98
GM-LL-8-025
MB 229.1/229.3
VW 502.00/505.00
Porsche approved

But here's the kicker on the back of the bottle:
patriot.gif

"Superior European formula now blended in the U.S.A.
Made in the U.S.A. from domestic and imported components."

I will hold my tongue until a VOA is seen.
banghead.gif

[ August 25, 2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Brikhead ]

I expect to see the 0w-30 relabeled since it now meets MB 229.5, which is not mentioned on the current label. I won't be surprised if it's now made in the US as well.

I'm sure Euro to US$ exchange rates have much to do with this. I wouldn't worry so much about where it's made as what it's made from!

I was out of town yesterday and stopped in my favorite Napa store. They have a huge selection of all kinds of good stuff (all kinds of oil with a huge selection of synthetcis including Amsoil).

They had Castrol 5W40. It caught my eye because there was a banner printed on the front of the bottle that said something like meets all Mercedes and VW specs.

I grabbed the bottle and rather than made in Belgium it said made in Canada.

This looks like another version of the 5w40!

quote:

Originally posted by ssmokn:
I was out of town yesterday and stopped in my favorite Napa store. They have a huge selection of all kinds of good stuff (all kinds of oil with a huge selection of synthetcis including Amsoil).

They had Castrol 5W40. It caught my eye because there was a banner printed on the front of the bottle that said something like meets all Mercedes and VW specs.

Oh no!!! Now there is CC to go along with GC and BC.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

quote:

Oh no!!! Now there is CC to go along with GC and BC.
pat.gif

And AC

I always thought "DC" was Domestic Castrol (a.k.a., the yellow-labeled older Made in the U.S. Syntec 0w-30). Ack...acronym overload.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

BC was/is imported from Canada, but says Made in Belgum.

I didn't buy any so I don't have a bottle to check on hand but I'm pretty sure it said MADE IN Canada rather than IMPORTED FROM Canada.

No biggie either way.... As long as it meets the spec. I don't care where it comes from. I'm sticking with GC 0W30 for now in the cars that I want/need an A3 oil.

Well, I for one, am not crazy about this development...some of the special mystique will be gone...
frown.gif
Obviously, performance is the key thing...but performance AND mystique...priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back