Bavarian Oil prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Bulk oil in Germany does not vary in price near as much as with quarts. I also think that the German driver that""needs"" oil off the autoban is going to spend "whatever" to put his deemed oil in his car.

It's no different than the American driver traveling along the interstate, stopping at a TA or Pilot Truck Center.

I always check out the oil and auto parts selection at every truck stop and gas station. Over the years I've seen some crazy prices at truck stops: $5.00 for a quart of no-name oil, $9.99 for a quart of Mobil One, gallon jugs of Rotella T for $19.99.... things like that are common on the open road.

Thanks for the pics, though. I really wish we had access to these advanced Euro synths in the states, and I love their bottle designs, so much nicer looking than the typically boring packaging we have here.

On the other hand they have on-line shops with good prices

This one for example ships even to the Greek islands with German post office . Cost is 12,40 € basic fee + 0,50 € per kg .
web page

Switzerland is expensive, too. When I lived there I used to cross the boarder and buy oil in France.

What the [censored] is jet?
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Hello,
for what it is worth, M1 0W-40 is on sale at the main Porsche Dealer here in Stuttgart for 9.70 Euros for a 1ltr container

That is around the same price (or a little cheaper) as in OZ

I spent some time there at the Dealer and Factory/Museum today

It is labled as "Tri-Synthetic" SM/CF A3/B3

This is the only service fill lubricant used by Porsche

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

It is labled as "Tri-Synthetic"

Heh... looks like they stuck with the old naming there. I guess the "SuperSyn" name didn't take on too well? I know in Poland people were smirking because "syn" means "son" in English. I think XOM eventually dropped the "SuperSyn" name there. Can't remember if they still use it in the US...

Originally Posted By: lars11
But, with 16-25% sales tax

Germany used to have a VAT (Mehrwertsteuer = value added tax). It was replaced in 1967 with the UST (Umsatzsteuer = turnover tax = sales tax). It is now 19%. Other taxes, like ecological tax may be added to certain products like mineral oil products. It is interesting that even on synthetic oil, you still have to pay the so-called "mineral oil tax."

Originally Posted By: moribundman
It is interesting that even on synthetic oil, you still have to pay the so-called "mineral oil tax."

I guess their understanding of synthetic oil is the same as Castrol's. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It is interesting that even on synthetic oil, you still have to pay the so-called "mineral oil tax."

LOL.gif

If I'm not mistaken, Jet is a ConocoPhillips brand. And as mentioned above, the taxes are astronomical on these products.

As we used to say down on the strasse: "Steuern runter macht Deutschland munter".

There are much less expensive places to buy motor oil than at the tankstelle.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

i see what you did there. well played sir, well played.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
If I'm not mistaken, Jet is a ConocoPhillips brand.

Jet was a British brand until Conoco-Philips bought Jet in the early '60s. Jet has always been one of the less expensive chains.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hello,
for what it is worth, M1 0W-40 is on sale at the main Porsche Dealer here in Stuttgart for 9.70 Euros for a 1ltr container

That is around the same price (or a little cheaper) as in OZ

I spent some time there at the Dealer and Factory/Museum today

It is labled as "Tri-Synthetic" SM/CF A3/B3

This is the only service fill lubricant used by Porsche

Hi Doug,

I'm guessing it didn't say "Porsche Approval List 2002" on the back like it does here in the US? If you can, please ask the guys at Porsche why they do not list both versions of M1 0w-40 on their list.

Thanks!
Tim

Last edited:
Hi,
glxpassat - Sorry couild not ask the question for you - too late

This may be of interest:
Yesterday as I refuelled on the drive bewteen Stuttgart and Munich I was able to get some more current German oil price data

All one litre containers and in Euros - all SM/CF (A3/B3 etc)
M1 0W-40 = 22.95 (that is about $AUD47.05 - it sells in OZ at about $AUD19)
Mobil 'S" 10W-40 semi-synth = 14.93
Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40 = 23.99
Divinol Synthetic 0W-40 = 15.95

One litre of unleaded super (95oct) = 1.31 to 1.39 per litre

I hope this give a real perspective on how cheap lubricants and fuel are in NA

It also gives a lead in to why fuel economy is a real "driver" here in Europe

Well of course that is bearing in mind that if you are not doing around 200kmh in the fast lane you shouldn't be there!

From Munich Airport Friday at 16.45

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Oil and gas is so expensive in Europe. The US probably gets the wholesale price since we consume so much more. Either that or we have some sort of trade agreement with the Saudis so that oil and gas doesnt go thru the roof since the US economy dictates the economy of the rest of the world.

That is not true at all.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
We make up for our low oil prices by paying through the rear for health care. Isn't that free in Germany?

@19%

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
We make up for our low oil prices by paying through the rear for health care. Isn't that free in Germany?

Health care is not free in Germany. Everybody must have health insurance. 50% of the insurance fee is paid by the employer, the other 50% is paid by the individual. A self-employed person pays the health insurance fee all by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back