Battle of the cheap synthetic blends

Your buddy, Frank, is buying oil for his car/truck/SUV and is looking for a synthetic blend 5w-30 that's cheap. He finds 3 brands, all around the same price. He doesn't know which to buy so he calls you. Here are his choices:

Napa Synthetic Blend
Chevron Supreme Synthetic Blend
Mobil Super Synthetic Blend

Which do you tell him to buy?

P.S. You gotta pick. No "whatever meets the spec" answers.

For my own money and assuming they're all the same price and are right next to each other on a shelf, I'd probably grab Chevron Supreme first, then Mobil Super, and finally Napa SynBlend. But I would not have any heartburn about using any of the above in many cars with reasonable OCIs.

We're gonna pretend they're the same price and on the shelf right next to each other.

Also, since I didn't give my choice in the OP: I'd say Mobil Super.

Chevron or Mobil - why? Same reason I don't buy Honda, Yamaha or any other "rebranded oil" if I don't have too. Chevron & Mobil makes oil and additives, Napa is a company that sells everything related to machinery but doesn't manufacture it.

Mobil Super is what we have used as our house oil at the shop for almost 10 years. Have not had any lube related issues on any engines that we service that the customers have us service on time.

Back