Battle of the Big Three

Penzoil which is called Shell in Holland.
I have used Shell Helix/penzoil platnium with good results for over 50k miles in my bmw.
It really cleans the engine allot which castrol did not really do as much.

Also shell atf for automatic
And shell diff oil

Also use shell now in my honda crf450 dirtbike and the wet clutch now operates and especialy disengages much better which also causes much better shifting compared to motul which is considered a real motorsports brand.

Both shell engine oils are gtl based.

I am a gtl fan due to multiple reasons.
Pretty syntethic in my opnion
Good cold flowing
Clean base oil
Can also make fuel out of it
Natural gas is greatly available =cheap
After gtl a couple of manufacturers switched to shell and probably for a good reason.

Shell is also much cheaper than m1 and castrol in Holland.

I did not have really impressive results from castrol and find them more of a marketing company then a research company.

No hands on experience with m1 but pretty expensive over here and not always good EU car/mototcycle certifications.

All are good for me Castrol has always been a favorite to me because of how clean it has kept my truck engine but nothing wrong with the other two. I haven’t used the other two long term. We use the Mobil 1 in my moms car seems to be doing good. I’ve used the Castrol and Pennzoil in my dads vehicles before we switched to just using one oil brand for each and they done good. My brother in law uses the Pennzoil Platinum on his 2007 Corolla it likes it. Also my friend uses the Pennzoil Platinum in his 1986 Bronco II it really cleaned up the engine from when he first got it.

Back