Battle of the 20's -Havoline vs Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the 20wts seem to be excellent so far. I was thinking of buying the Havoline/MC or Amsoil. After reading about Havoline switching to Group I baseoils soon, confirmed by two CVX reps, I'm leaning more towards the MC or Amsoil. However, I did come across quite a bit of 5w-20 Havoline from July/August months. I like the fact that the MC is a Group III based oil but I like the add pack of the Havoline. My wife's Focus doesn't get driven all that much anymore and I might switch her car over to one of these. I might even run them in my car once my 0w-20 supply is out. Thoughts?

I guess if I wasn't sure about the Havoline, I go with the MC. Still hard to believethey went to Group III. Just add a quart of Redline in , then you know you're good.

Buster: the 5w20 Havoline will not be group I basestock no matter when you buy it. I knew you would switch to Havoline sooner or later , your to sharp of a guy not to notice the great UOA turned out buy Havoline. Does the Focus use 5w30 or 5w20, in Philly you could use 5w30 all year long with great results,yes that includes your honda also.

drums, I was told that all the Havoline conventionals will be group I for a short while.
smile.gif
BTW, do you play the drums?

buster, stick with MC or Pennzoil, both are tried & true excellent 5w-20 dino's. I wish I could use 20wt in my old Saturn, but after 2400 miles into the OCI, it's burned a qt of PZ 5w-20 GF-4 synth. That's the first time I've noticed that much oil eder being consumed by this particular car. It's just too thin for this this old car (with an engine design that's *known* for drinking oil).

offtopic.gif

Drums?!? Neil Peart is simply the best in my book. Rush's 30th anniversary tour DVD (in HDTV) will be released Nov 22nd. The deluxe edition offers 2 CD's and some other tour stuff. Amazon has a great price on it to preorder!
http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/News.htm

Thanks. Neil is one of my favorites. He is one of the greatest rock drummers of all time. Mike Portnoy is another great prog rock drummer although I think he over plays. So many great drummers out there...

Ok back on track, I might just stick wit MC.
smile.gif

Buster, i can assure you the 5w20 will NOT be group I basestock . Yes I've been playing for almost 30 years, my 12 year old son has been playing sense he was 2 years oil, and he's better then me.

ToyotaNsaturn: Peart is a great drummer lots of good drummers out there. But the best drummer to ever take a breath was BUDDY RICH , but there was something special when GENE KRUPA got behind his SLINGERLANDS. These to guys are who i admire the most.

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Buster, i can assure you the 5w20 will NOT be group I basestock .

I was thinking that a 5w-20 in today's SM/GF-4 world could NOT be a Group I product. Is it even a Group II? Is the Havoline/Chevron 5w20 a Group II+ based product?

They said that they have add packs ready to compensate for the Group I's they will be using. I don't know why they would tell me this???

If you want to hear where Neil falls short, pick up the "Burning for Buddy" CD. Rock is clearly Neil's forte, not the fusion/jazz realm.
smile.gif

offtopic.gif

I do agree...watching Buddy solo on the snare was like watching the best pilot soar through the air in an F-16. Simply amazing. One of his best performance was at the Chicago Jazz fest in 1987. It was jaw-dropping for me to watch *that* level of snare drum dynamics. I tried repeating what he did, but no matter how hard I tried, it wasn't NEARLY the same as how he played it.

My late grandpa has several stories about him hanging with Krupa. Have no idea if those were true, but they were both from south Chicago.
smile.gif

another OT post....

I agree, he's a rock drummer through & through.
Steve Smith is quite underrated...he nails good jazz drumming and it's truly enjoyable to hear him and HOW he plays. Another great performer that turns-in jaw dropping performances time after time.

I don't usually get into the "he's the best" debates (although it's fun sometimes LOL). It's not possible IMO to determine this. Different styles, music and approach to the instrument. Lot of great players...
smile.gif

Steve Smith is awesome!! That guy has a lot of technique most never knew. Vital Information with Victor Wooten??? Isn't that the band he plays in?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
Buster, i can assure you the 5w20 will NOT be group I basestock .

I was thinking that a 5w-20 in today's SM/GF-4 world could NOT be a Group I product. Is it even a Group II? Is the Havoline/Chevron 5w20 a Group II+ based product?

You can't blend a 5w20 from ALL Group I that will meet GF-4 specs. You MAY be able to do it with SOME Group I, if A LOT of Group III or Group IV is also used.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:

offtopic.gif

Drums?!? Neil Peart is simply the best in my book. Rush's 30th anniversary tour DVD (in HDTV) will be released Nov 22nd. The deluxe edition offers 2 CD's and some other tour stuff. Amazon has a great price on it to preorder!
http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/News.htm

In mine also!!! I have a pair of his drumsticks that I 'appropriated' from his kit right before the December, 1980 Moving Pictures Tour in Kansas City. I was 14 at the time and was totally exstatic about it. they are well-used, but it made that the best concert I have been to to date.

I'm going to buy the Havoline. Cant beat that oil for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back