Battle of Oils in Middle East? What should I choose?

Originally Posted by PimTac
I doubt that Fiat recommends Amsoil. From the copy you posted Shell must be paying for prominent recommendations. Nothing wrong with that though.

Your cooling system and air filter are very important considering your climate.

Unless it's changed Shell (Pennzoil) is the FCA Oil.
Doesn't surprise me it appears to be international.
Money talks.

Originally Posted by John344
Originally Posted by Cujet
There is no reason to use exceptionally low viscosity oils in extremely high temperatures. A quick glance at a viscosity graph demonstrates that even a more viscous spec like 5W-30 is "thinner" at 40c than 0W-20 is at 10c. (10c = 50f a very common temperature in the USA) (40c = 104f a very common temp in the Middle East)

As I've mentioned in another thread, oil temperatures are not well managed in the vast majority of modern vehicles. This means oil temperatures will continue to climb, as outside air temperature climbs. Especially during hard use. The only real way we have to manage oil viscosity at extremely high temperatures is to choose properly.

I'm sure you know that many vehicles in the Middle East use more viscous oils. The manuals may suggest it, or it may simply be "the way it's done".

Modern engines are not significantly different from older designs and very few engines actually use internal components designed to last a long time with ultra low viscosity oils.

Here we rarely get to 0C freezing point. and we have more hotter months than cold, The issue is that we don't have trustworthy oils here, so I have to stick with one of the mentioned oils. I don't know why Chrysler insists on using 0W-20 on all their new cars including the chargers. I would love to see a high mileage car that only used 0W-20 oil. so at least I feel better when I use it.

Just go to any Highway Patrol / State Police in the States and ask to see one of their Chargers nearing the 150,000 mi (240,000 km) retirement. We have parts of the USA that commonly exceed 45 Celsius and 50 Celsius on occasion.

OP, to me your biggest concern not getting a fake oil, so stick to the list you trust. Better real oil than fake oil.

Given your hot climate, thicker is fine, even better probably.

The M1 5W30 ESP is a thicker Euro rated 30 grade oil with a HTHS of 3.5 cP, which sounds perfect. But it's a mid-SAPS oil at 0.8% so fine for regular oil change intervals (OCI) but don't extend to a longer drain. It's excellent pour point also suggests that it's a PAO based synthetic (Group IV).

MS-6395 is not a difficult standard to reach, any reasonable oil should pass, but most don't bother going through the extended in car test.

However that M1 5W30 ESP passes some much harder test and carries much better Euro specifications

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern automobile engines, especially the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines found in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.

•Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often may not perform

Specifications and Approvals
This product has the following approvals:

VW 504 00

VW 507 00

PORSCHE C30

PSA B712290

GM dexos2

MB-Approval 229.31

MB-Approval 229.51

MB-Approval 229.52

Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2297

Properties and Specifications
Grade SAE 5W-30

Viscosity, cSt @ 100°C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Sulfated Ash, mass%, ASTM D874

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, ASTM D4683

Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97

Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052

The big question to me is what quality fuel do you have ? As in ppm sulphur. If you have low quality high sulphur fuel, then I would reduce your OCI as the acid would build up faster with high sulphur fuel and so you need to change your oil more often.

Originally Posted by vivaUkraine
OP, so in 55C your oil temp is still around +/- 100C? I assume you have a factory digital oil pressure read out? Does it show 27 psi hot idle and 70 psi +/- at load?

Yes, I have a digital oil temperature odometer. I have to check the pressure in idle and while I use it on the highway. and get back to you.

Originally Posted by SR5
OP, to me your biggest concern not getting a fake oil, so stick to the list you trust. Better real oil than fake oil.

Given your hot climate, thicker is fine, even better probably.

The M1 5W30 ESP is a thicker Euro rated 30 grade oil with a HTHS of 3.5 cP, which sounds perfect. But it's a mid-SAPS oil at 0.8% so fine for regular oil change intervals (OCI) but don't extend to a longer drain. It's excellent pour point also suggests that it's a PAO based synthetic (Group IV).

MS-6395 is not a difficult standard to reach, any reasonable oil should pass, but most don't bother going through the extended in car test.

However that M1 5W30 ESP passes some much harder test and carries much better Euro specifications

Applications
Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is recommended for all types of modern automobile engines, especially the high-performance gasoline and diesel engines found in the latest passenger cars, SUVs and light vans.

•Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is especially suitable for extreme conditions, where conventional oil often may not perform

Specifications and Approvals
This product has the following approvals:

VW 504 00

VW 507 00

PORSCHE C30

PSA B712290

GM dexos2

MB-Approval 229.31

MB-Approval 229.51

MB-Approval 229.52

Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2297

Properties and Specifications
Grade SAE 5W-30

Viscosity, cSt @ 100°C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

Sulfated Ash, mass%, ASTM D874

Hi-Temp Hi-Shear Viscosity @ 150 C, mPa.s, ASTM D4683

Pour Point, °C, ASTM D97

Density @ 15 C, g/cm3, ASTM D4052

The big question to me is what quality fuel do you have ? As in ppm sulphur. If you have low quality high sulphur fuel, then I would reduce your OCI as the acid would build up faster with high sulphur fuel and so you need to change your oil more often.

Regrading the fuel. I use 95 Premium fuel which is known around here to be clean and used for German sports cars.

Originally Posted by John344

Regrading the fuel. I use 95 Premium fuel which is known around here to be clean and used for German sports cars.

No worries

Originally Posted by SR5
Out of that lot, Mobil 1 5W30 ESP.
It's a VW 504 / 507 oil which a very high standard to reach.

+1
plus it has the highest hths out of the bunch if im not mistaking

Back