Battle of Oils in Middle East? What should I choose?

Greetings,
I have a Grand Cherokee 3.6 L 2018 and I had issues before with finding the right oil since I live in a very very hot climate 131F (55C) in daylight. So considering that I had limited oil choices here I was struggling to choose the best, but now I found a place that sells Amsoil 0W-20 (which the manufacturer recommends). I really don't know anything about Amsoil and I heard that it's suitable for racing cars?

The option that I have are the following:

1- Amsoil OE 0W-20
2- Mopar 0W-20 (I think Shell Helix provide them)
3- Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula
4- Liqy Moly Special Tec LL 5W-20

This What the manual says:
[Linked Image]

What do you think about Amsoil is it worth it??

Of the oils you listed, the Amsoil 0w20 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 would be my choice. Being your car calls for a 0w20, the Amsoil would be a good choice.

Originally Posted by buster
Of the oils you listed, the Amsoil 0w20 and Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 would be my choice. Being your car calls for a 0w20, the Amsoil would be a good choice.

Does Amsoil 0W20 have the FCA Material Standard MS-6395? I searched online but no one mentions that it has it?

Amsoil does not submit their Signature Series oils for official approval.

Originally Posted by John344
Greetings,
I have a Grand Cherokee 3.6 L 2018 and I had issues before with finding the right oil since I live in a very very hot climate 131F (55C) in daylight. So considering that I had limited oil choices here I was struggling to choose the best, but now I found a place that sells Amsoil 0W-20 (which the manufacturer recommends). I really don't know anything about Amsoil and I heard that it's suitable for racing cars?

The option that I have are the following:

1- Amsoil OE 0W-20
2- Mopar 0W-20 (I think Shell Helix provide them)
3- Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula
4- Liqy Moly Special Tec LL 5W-20

This What the manual says:
[Linked Image]

What do you think about Amsoil is it worth it??

Is better low temperature starting and vehicle fuel mileage a consideration where you are living. 0W oil is for starting at below about -35*f

I doubt that Fiat recommends Amsoil. From the copy you posted Shell must be paying for prominent recommendations. Nothing wrong with that though.

Your cooling system and air filter are very important considering your climate.

There is no reason to use exceptionally low viscosity oils in extremely high temperatures. A quick glance at a viscosity graph demonstrates that even a more viscous spec like 5W-30 is "thinner" at 40c than 0W-20 is at 10c. (10c = 50f a very common temperature in the USA) (40c = 104f a very common temp in the Middle East)

As I've mentioned in another thread, oil temperatures are not well managed in the vast majority of modern vehicles. This means oil temperatures will continue to climb, as outside air temperature climbs. Especially during hard use. The only real way we have to manage oil viscosity at extremely high temperatures is to choose properly.

I'm sure you know that many vehicles in the Middle East use more viscous oils. The manuals may suggest it, or it may simply be "the way it's done".

Modern engines are not significantly different from older designs and very few engines actually use internal components designed to last a long time with ultra low viscosity oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
I doubt that Fiat recommends Amsoil. From the copy you posted Shell must be paying for prominent recommendations. Nothing wrong with that though.

Your cooling system and air filter are very important considering your climate.

I do take good care of that since we have a dusty environment, The only issue is that we have less imported oils the only trustworthy oils that I found are the ones I mentioned in the post.

Originally Posted by Cujet
There is no reason to use exceptionally low viscosity oils in extremely high temperatures. A quick glance at a viscosity graph demonstrates that even a more viscous spec like 5W-30 is "thinner" at 40c than 0W-20 is at 10c. (10c = 50f a very common temperature in the USA) (40c = 104f a very common temp in the Middle East)

As I've mentioned in another thread, oil temperatures are not well managed in the vast majority of modern vehicles. This means oil temperatures will continue to climb, as outside air temperature climbs. Especially during hard use. The only real way we have to manage oil viscosity at extremely high temperatures is to choose properly.

I'm sure you know that many vehicles in the Middle East use more viscous oils. The manuals may suggest it, or it may simply be "the way it's done".

Modern engines are not significantly different from older designs and very few engines actually use internal components designed to last a long time with ultra low viscosity oils.

Here we rarely get to 0C freezing point. and we have more hotter months than cold, The issue is that we don't have trustworthy oils here, so I have to stick with one of the mentioned oils. I don't know why Chrysler insists on using 0W-20 on all their new cars including the chargers. I would love to see a high mileage car that only used 0W-20 oil. so at least I feel better when I use it.

main-qimg-1857586db1182f8f6e7a2011e085fe45

so looking at that chart in my case using thicker oil won't matter right? I mean my Oil temp always sets at 95C (203 F) it's rare that it reaches 100C (212 F). Even in summer.

FCA is a very euro-centric company, and most familiar with Royal Dutch Shell products because of it. It's essentially a Fiat company now. The low vis is for fuel economy standards in both europe and north america. Middle East is a much hotter climate and if there were a temp / vis chart like OEM's used to supply, you would see a higher viscosity recommendation for your climate.

I don't know why OEM's discontinued these charts - perhaps government fuel economy mandates forced them to? I know I would be running M1 ESP 5W-30 if I were you.

Frankly to many other good oils are available for less money. $10 a jug less is pretty easy to achieve. But in most cases choice of oil has very little to do with what is going to protect your car as much as personal predjudice.

There is a member here that lives in the Middle East. Drives a vehicle specified for a 20 grade, has an oil temperature gauge and has chosen to run a 40 grade oil based on his high oil temperatures.

Since you're also driving in extreme temperatures and the Pentastar was originally specified for 5w30 (in the US) I would think that a 40 grade would be safe choice. Since Amsoil is available to you, perhaps you might consider their 0w40, which is a very good oil that I've used in the past - in a vehicle specified 5w20.

Thats a tough question but I would run a 5w40 or 15w40, that engine has very little in the way of stringent requirements on the oil..
and running a 0w20 in an area with 130F ground temps is not great.

Even with the stock small oil cooler the oil will be much warmer at 130F ambient vs 80F ambient.

So I would at least run a 5w30. if not thicker.

Originally Posted by Rand
Thats a tough question but I would run a 5w40 or 15w40, that engine has very little in the way of stringent requirements on the oil..
and running a 0w20 in an area with 130F ground temps is not great.

Even with the stock small oil cooler the oil will be much warmer at 130F ambient vs 80F ambient.

So I would at least run a 5w30. if not thicker.

What are your thoughts on people saying that thicker oil needs more time to cool down, is this true? like 5W30 needs more time to cool because it is thicker, unlike the 0W20?

OP, so in 55C your oil temp is still around +/- 100C? I assume you have a factory digital oil pressure read out? Does it show 27 psi hot idle and 70 psi +/- at load?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by John344
main-qimg-1857586db1182f8f6e7a2011e085fe45

so looking at that chart in my case using thicker oil won't matter right? I mean my Oil temp always sets at 95C (203 F) it's rare that it reaches 100C (212 F). Even in summer.

If the indication of "oil temp" is accurate, there must be a very effective oil cooler. This is a very good thing!

My suggestion is the M1 5W-30.

It might be interesting to place a thermocouple down the dipstick (if possible) into the oil after a hot day highway drive and see what the actual oil temp is. I'm not saying I don't trust your oil temp indication. But it would be interesting to verify it.

Last edited:
Back