Battery sprung a leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, the battery I got was made 11/14.

Doesn't mean that a topping charge is a bad idea...

I haven't seen this in a Varta battery, however, I hardly ever see Varta batteries.

I am only used to seeing this on batteries with pry-off caps.

I made washers out of rug pad felt and soaked them in fresh oil. No problem with acid after that. Grease,vaseline, worked into any exposed copper at the terminals will greatly reduce corrosion. A dirty battery top will bleed off voltage. I once saw a test light running off the dirt and ground. Put a meter on it, see for yourself. A dilute baking soda solution and a rinse wll cure it.
grin2.gif

Find this thread ironic to me. I too have a 2008 VW (looks to be the same motor judging by the engine cover) that has the original battery (car build date 7/08). Noticed last week it seems to be long in the tooth and not cranking as well. Just hit 60K last week, looks to be the last winter for this OEM battery. It doesn't seem to be leaking however.

I bought a advance auto parts battery for like 71 dollars a few months back.

Works fine, same CCA as OEM.

I found it cheap that the replacement battery was a little shorter in height than the OEM battery, so they installed a flimsy plastic height adapter plate to get the tie down to bolt on.

Next time I may get the OEM battery.

This is one of the reasons I ONLY use a good quality AGM type battery now, despite your (and others on here) thoughts that they are less than ideal for an under hood automotive environment.
wink.gif

(IF that stuff dripped down in MY car it goes RIGHT INTO the coolant overflow/recovery tank!!
eek.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back