Battery recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running a Canadian Tire "72" for the past coupla years... looking to replace it.

The vehicle takes a group 26R size.

Sears Diehard Gold not available in that size.
Walmart up here only sells the Energizer and Optima.

I like the Optima RedTop, but the sizing guide keeps recommending that the group 35 will fit. The truth of the matter is the group 35 Optima is an inch bigger than the tray and I will have to drop $200 CDN for it.

AC Delco and Interstate are available.

Any recommendations?

Optima Red top sucks! I paid $160 (reverse posts; some #) and it failed 1.5 years later and they gave me the run around on it (to replace)...So, in the trash 38 lbs went and in the China-mart went...1/3 the price and so far 3+ years working great..

I've been down all these roads. I'm lately buying the wal-mart battery with the best warranty. There's a wal-mart everywhere and I keep the battery warranty in the car. If it fails in warranty, I just go to the nearest wal-mart and get a new one.

It seems pretty hard to buy a good quality battery for a reasonable price these days unless you can get the Die Hard Platinum that's a rebranded Odyssey. Quality seems sketchy on everything. I don't spend any time on it any more and just buy long warranty batteries.

Get a fresh one-whatever you decide on. I've gotten 5 + years from Diehards, Duralast and Interstate. I avoid Optims due to overpricing and failure reports.

The biggest advantage to Interstate is their consignment system. Batteries that sit around unused lose charge, which along with time leads to sulfation and loss of capacity. For most people, this means looking out for batteries that have been manufactured less than 3 months ago. I bought my last battery the same month it was manufactured, so I didn't have too many worries.

Interstate sends their delivery personnel out to retailers to check for batteries that are past a certain shelf life (before enough time for sulfation) and replace them. Then they top off the charge of the collected batteries and reintroduce them into their delivery system. Apparently they get very few returns since their batteries aren't given enough time to degrade on the shelf.

Regular Duralast. I squeezed almost 8 years out of one, the longest to date in the hot south!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Optima seems to get a lot of unhappy people who purchased them.

Optima's look cool/exotic but they suck.
43.gif

Costco and Wal Mart batteries are among the best, from what I have read. Though amazingly I still have the original battery in my 2002 Focus!

I like JC batteries and the two I have work fine. One of them is Honda OEM battery that is going on its 8th year and still as good as new. AAP checked it last month and gave it a clean bill of health. The other battery is AAP AutoCraft and it is very good as well. I left my headlights on overnight a few times and the battery is still very good. Whenever possible, I like to buy parts from AAP, tools from Sears, and have service done at Peps Boys. I get my oil mostly from Walmart but I rather not spend all of my automatic money at Walmart because I don't want it to be the only automative place in town after others are forced to shut down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BGK
Costco and Wal Mart batteries are among the best, from what I have read. Though amazingly I still have the original battery in my 2002 Focus!

Buying a Costco battery is a way to get roped into being a member for the duration of the warranty and non-member and ex-member can't get work on at its shop even if the products were purchased there. I found that out with the expensive tires I bought there that can't be rotated and balanced unless I keep on with my membership. Since Costco just got sued for cheating members of due fee, I think someone should sue them for breach of contract.

Costco also renewed my membership without telling me and I found out about it 6 months into it; therefore, I basically was a member and didn't shop there because I didn't know I was still a member. Screw Costco.

Last edited:
I wanted to get one of those die hard platinum batteries. I think the 65 for my vic was $180 or so though! Plus sears is about a hour or more one way so I used my discount and bought a WalMart when the OE went out.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
I wanted to get one of those die hard platinum batteries. I think the 65 for my vic was $180 or so though! Plus sears is about a hour or more one way so I used my discount and bought a WalMart when the OE went out.

The sears "die hard PLATINUM" battery is actually a ODYSSEY PC-1500 made by Enersys relabeled for Sears.....and actually quite a bargain at $180 compared to the identical Odyssey labeled one at $260-325 for the EXACT same battery!!!! Consumers Reports named it the best battery they have ever tested 2 years in a row.....a full 48 month FULL exchange warranty also. Check out the manufacturer for great info on batteries http://www.odysseyfactory.com

Buy a battery from a retailer that will be available should the battery fail. I purchased a Die Hard Gold from sears a couple years ago...when the battery died, there wasn't a sears close enough for me to replace the battery under warranty, and I ended up getting stuck buying a new one at PepBoys (needed car running asap for test later in day). Pick a brand and a retailer that is nation wide...so regardless of where the battery fails, the retailer is close by to swap it out.

Walmart is perhaps your best bet in this regard, next would be Autozone. AAA isn't a bad option either, but they are expensive. Had I bought my battery at pep-boys, autozone, or kragen...I could have swapped it out that day. Instead, I bought a new battery when the dead one had a year of free replacement left....sucks.

Too bad Starbucks doesn't sell car batteries. You wouldn't have to walk 20 feet to get a new one!!

Originally Posted By: pzev
Buy a battery from a retailer that will be available should the battery fail. I purchased a Die Hard Gold from sears a couple years ago...when the battery died, there wasn't a sears close enough for me to replace the battery under warranty, and I ended up getting stuck buying a new one at PepBoys (needed car running asap for test later in day). Pick a brand and a retailer that is nation wide...so regardless of where the battery fails, the retailer is close by to swap it out.

Walmart is perhaps your best bet in this regard, next would be Autozone. AAA isn't a bad option either, but they are expensive. Had I bought my battery at pep-boys, autozone, or kragen...I could have swapped it out that day. Instead, I bought a new battery when the dead one had a year of free replacement left....sucks.

Too bad Starbucks doesn't sell car batteries. You wouldn't have to walk 20 feet to get a new one!!

I have a Peps Boys half a mile down the road. I like to buy things from them and keep them in business. The Napa store 2 miles away closed 3 years ago and the next one is actually 11 miles away. I like AAP but I think Napa staffs may be more knowledgeable as they tend to be DIY car guys as well. I have been giving dumb advices and suggestions from AAP before and usually try to stick with someone with some know-how. The local AAP seems to have a lot of turn-over lately though.

A lot of people like to buy from Walmart because it is almost every where. I think there is a better chance of running into a AAP, Auto Zone, or Napa than running into Walmart in small towns. It boils down to who would have national honor system for warranty. AAP keeps my purchase record so I can loose a receipt and am still covered. I don't know if that record is accessiable by other AAP store though. I need to get them to print me secondary receipts for those lifetime parts.

I'm running 6 1/2 years on my original AC Delco. Had it load tested lately and it is close to full cranking power!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back