Battery Problems.

Cobalt might be the problem, not so much lithium. You might know about the hype over gas turbines in cars in the 1960s. One of the (many) reasons gas turbines never replaced conventional engines is that estimates then showed known world reserves of cobalt would have been depleted in 10 years if all new cars and trucks switched. Presumably the same story holds for mass use of EV batteries.

Cobalt might be the problem, not so much lithium. You might know about the hype over gas turbines in cars in the 1960s. One of the (many) reasons gas turbines never replaced conventional engines is that estimates then showed known world reserves of cobalt would have been depleted in 10 years if all new cars and trucks switched. Presumably the same story holds for mass use of EV batteries.
I thought the main reason is micro turbine is just not efficient at all at partial / variable load on demand.

A battery researcher I knew told me if we run out of lithium, there's always sodium and they only need $ to R&D it to happen, it is going to be fine.

It isn't so much about supply, but in whose hands that supply is!!!
Yup, the main reason we have so many wars and US has cheap fuel compare to the rest of the world, is because we control oil.

It is much harder to control electricity as everyone can make it using many different sources. That's the main beauty of EV and train (electrified one not the long haul diesel one).

I hear Elon is considering getting into the drilling business... Vertical integration, baby!

If things were so bad, why is every major car manufacturer going electric? Are they that dumb?
Don't answer that...
I wouldn't say car manufacturers are 'dumb' as they will build/heavily advertise whatever sells as there will always be those wanting to have the 'latest/greatest' with little research, thought process, etc. Manufacturers should realize (and likely do) that not everyone will buy into the EV/hybrid chaos and will stick with what they have or buy used ICE vehicles, so there will always be trade-offs one way or another.

I wouldn't say car manufacturers are 'dumb' as they will build/heavily advertise whatever sells as there will always be those wanting to have the 'latest/greatest' with little research, thought process, etc. Manufacturers should realize (and likely do) that not everyone will buy into the EV/hybrid chaos and will stick with what they have or buy used ICE vehicles, so there will always be trade-offs one way or another.
They are spending billions to switch over to electric. I would hardly call tht fad chasing.

In reality, it's not all that different with gasoline supply. Certain moves are made and it gets real painful for those who rely on it.

They are spending billions to switch over to electric. I would hardly call tht fad chasing.
Still will likely never appeal to the masses. I'm a fan of some things battery powered, but long term rural driving isn't one and likely won't be in my lifetime. To each their own and some car manufacturers will lose business over their choices.

I hear Elon is considering getting into the drilling business... Vertical integration, baby!

If things were so bad, why is every major car manufacturer going electric? Are they that dumb?
Don't answer that...
But I want to answer! Dumb or not, if you like performance, the better EV's are amazing.

AND, while I'm confident the shortages will be resolved in time, the major legacy manufacturers are flailing right now. With specific model production numbers sometimes in the hundreds per month.

But I want to answer! Dumb or not, if you like performance, the better EV's are amazing.

AND, while I'm confident the shortages will be resolved in time, the major legacy manufacturers are flailing right now. With specific model production numbers sometimes in the hundreds per month.
It's called bad management. By definition, upper management is responsible for ongoing success of the company.

Don't answer that...

BMW went on record to say going 100% electric would be suicide. So they make what they can sell which is EV at this time.

Back