Battery charging in situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gents.
With the cooler weather approaching I am starting to think about a battery charger.

I have mainly short runs and the trouble is with winter I have lights, wipers, heated seats, heated rear window all being used and the battery struggles to keep on top of things.

If I get one of the 'smart' chargers can I connect it to the battery without disconnecting it from the car first? I do not want to loose all my settings. Will it damage anything doing this?

Car is a 2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0crd.

Many thanks.
Tikka.

FWIW I use a smart charger often with the battery connected. Usually this is with my "third vehicle" that doesn't get used as much as the other two. I also top up the boat battery in between runs. I don't disconnect.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Look at Optimate chargers with cables that permanently attach to the battery terminals, put a set of cables on each vehicles so you can plug the units in any one of them when needed and leave it on the one in storage.

Just buy a Battery Tender from Wal-Mart. They all come with different length leads, or you can make up your own if you need longer ones. (A lot of the newer Jeep Grand Cherokee's have the battery located under the seat).

You can run the lead out the grill, and just plug it in. They come in different outputs. Even the low output models will keep your battery fully charged without overcharging. They won't damage a thing.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=battery+tender

Yes, ring terminals to an always on location underhood, then charge when convenient.

You could avoid using all of those loads too...

Make sure you get a unit that can put enough current to make a difference if you're going to be doing this in a transient fashion. I'd probably be looking for one that has an 8-10A mode (usually the rating of the fuse on the ring terminal connector) so if it's only connected for a short time you can get a decent charge in there.

Hi
Thank you all very much for your advice. Really is appreciated.

Would be a long flight to find a Walmart bilit460, but I could work in a shooting trip at the same time
lol.gif

I do try to cut down on the loads. You know what it's like in winter though. Dark, cold and wet it is not always easy to.

Apologies to mods too. Seems there is a more appropriate section for this.

Many thanks.
Tikka.

The only chargers that require the battery to be disconnected from the car's electrical system are chargers that reverse the polarity for a few seconds at a time, maybe a few times a minute, to remove gas bubbles that form on the plates. Such chargers will definitely damage the car's electrical system if connected to it, but I've seen only 2 such chargers, one being a construction project featured in a very old hobby electronics magazine.

Car battery chargers are just voltage regulators that also limit the current.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back