Battery Charger.

Depends on which one, but many of the new ones don't necessarily have any kind of float or trickle mode. That supposedly can slowly damage batteries. What they have is a maintain mode, where it stops charging when full, monitors the voltage, and then starts charging again when it drops below a certain voltage.

I bought a Schumacher SC-1200A/CA (may be discontinued) over 7 years ago and it's the one I can still find since all the other ones I've got seem to have disappeared. I like the LED display, which outputs the voltage when not in charge/maintain mode and then flashes between 12 (I guess meaning 12V battery seen) and an estimated charge percentage until the display eventually goes dark (starts displaying again with any button press). It's a 3A/12A with a select button for 3A/12A and another for standard or AGM. At 12A it charges until fully charged and then goes into maintain mode where it will only charge at 3A. It is kind of weird with a dead battery because it seems to think that 7V means that it's a fully charged 6V battery.

I looked it up i my Amazon order history, and it was $30.52 back in 2013. Can't find anything quite like it for the same price, but this one is the closest at more than $50. It doesn't seem to have buttons per se, but looks like a key for rate selection and battery type, plus a dedicated start/stop as membrane keys (not sure if I like that idea because I've seen that looks like at gas pumps).

71tc6LYu+JL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The NOCO 1 amp would fit your needs perfectly if you just want to keep the battery fully topped off while sitting. I wouldn't trust a cheap charger/maintainer to not damage my battery over time.

Noco Genius and CTEK are favorites.
Clore Automotive was on my list to look at, but my father-in-law had issues with it. Not sure what the issue was, so take that with a grain of salt.
These 3 seem to tell you, or there is information out there documenting what they do, and it seems to be technically sound.
Of the 3 NOCO seems to have better build quality. So that would be my choice.

I have a Schumacher which will go up to 15.5-16V. So, I won't touch their chargers.

The Delran Battery Tender + are very reliable and well priced. Unlike most other battery tenders they have a substantial metal casing vs plastic for most other brands like CTEK and NOCO.

That may not seem important but they do get dropped or even ran over. My Delran unit has lasted 10+ years so far and I’ve ran over it at least 3 times ( it happens). It may not look pristine anymore due to my negligence, but it works perfectly, LED indicator lights and all.

Amazon sells them for about $50 :

Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128

The Delran Battery Tender + are very reliable and well priced. Unlike most other battery tenders they have a substantial metal casing vs plastic for most other brands like CTEK and NOCO.

That may not seem important but they do get dropped or even ran over. My Delran unit has lasted 10+ years so far and I’ve ran over it at least 3 times ( it happens). It may not look pristine anymore due to my negligence, but it works perfectly, LED indicator lights and all.

Amazon sells them for about $50 :

Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger and Maintainer: 1.25 AMP Powersport Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs - Smart 12 Volt Automatic Float Charger - 021-0128

It looks like it may have more bells and whistles, if one needs to charge 6v batteries then it does have that feature.

And it can charge at a higher rate, although that is not important with a tender type charger; the lower 1.25 amp rate of the tender + will top off a low battery overnight easily.

If one needs to bring a mostly dead battery back to life either one will work OK. But if time is a factor , then a heavy duty 30+ amp charger is called for.

……but, it does appear to have a plastic case, which is a non-starter in my garage. I’ll stick with the same brand’s Battery Tender + as I know it is reliable AND durable.

Z

Last edited:
It looks like it may have more bells and whistles, if one needs to charge 6v batteries then it does have that feature.

And it can charge at a higher rate, although that is not important with a tender type charger; the lower 1.25 amp rate of the tender + will top off a low battery overnight easily.

If one needs to bring a mostly dead battery back to life either one will work OK. But if time is a factor , then a heavy duty 30+ amp charger is called for.

……but, it does appear to have a plastic case, which is a non-starter in my garage. I’ll stick with the same brand’s Battery Tender + as I know it is reliable AND durable.

Z

I really don't need 6 volt charger, after it's done charging, what does it bring the battery up to? Have you ever checked it?

I really don't need 6 volt charger, after it's done charging, what does it bring the battery up to? Have you ever checked it?

Between 13.2v and 13.7v . I check it every day, lol.

I’m currently using the battery tender on a car that’s 21 years old and has a complex and cranky electrical system; a 2002 Jaguar XKR. If battery voltage is low the car has a nervous breakdown and exhibits numerous engine faults on the OBD-II . The slow oxidation of the many computer circuit boards and the many electrical connections os likely the issue, & require a fully charged battery at all times.

So to ward off the gremlins most of the owners who are posting on the Jag forum are using a battery tender of some sort whenever the car is parked for any length of time. That strategy has proved to keep problems at bay and makes owning a semi-vintage car very trouble free . It’s my daily driver too, so having a trouble free car is even more crucial.

Z

How often do you charge it?

I make sure it gets an overnight charge once a week. Or whenever the car will sit for a while, if I’m out of town, etc. So the charger is hooked up frequently. That may be overkill for a less finicky or newer car. But the Jag has many electrical systems that have the potential for causing needless aggravation. A reliable battery tender is a must have accessory in my situation.

On the other hand, my SO has by comparison a very simple car, a 2012 Ford Focus. It will sit for weeks and then start up and drive without a hiccup. Something to be said for that.

Z

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SEL if I let it sit for weeks. It will start, but I will get a low battery light on. Or it will leave me somewhere. With a dead battery. And I will have to jump it with a jump box.. Alternator is in good shape, very common issue, I had it checked for a drain. And in return batteries just don't last me that long..

Attachments

• ctek-2-3.jpg
    ctek-2-3.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ctek-2-2.jpg
    ctek-2-2.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 24
  • ctek-2-4.jpg
    ctek-2-4.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 23
Unfortunately I can't swing something like that, I heard they're pretty good though. I haven't even been able to get one yet. Being on a fixed income, and other things just keep coming up.. but I know I need one.

Back