Battery change in Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1

Real world repairs and chat room chat are often much different. We see that here at BITOG.

But, that doesn't explain your claim of a dealer allegedly saying it could be $3500 to $6000. That doesn't add up. Even if it took them twice as long and they charged you that rate, that doesn't add up for a battery replacement.

I just did some goolging and looked on toyotapartsbarn.com at a battery for a 2001 Prius. You said it was a 2000, but from what I see, they didn't start selling the Prius in the U.S. until 2001.

They say the MSRP for the battery assembly is $2299. Their price is $1700 plus a $1300 core charge.
http://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=11#

Quote:
[ 11 ] HYBRID COMPONENTS / HYBRID COMPONENTS / BATTERY / BATTERY
battery Prius

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$2,299.00 $1,350.00 $1,701.26

Here's another online dealer:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2001/To...ID%20COMPONENTS

They quote $2299 again as the battery MSRP. They want $1839 plus a $1350 core.

Something just isn't adding up with some of the high-priced claims in this thread.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Real world repairs and chat room chat are often much different. We see that here at BITOG.

But, that doesn't explain your claim of a dealer allegedly saying it could be $3500 to $6000. That doesn't add up. Even if it took them twice as long and they charged you that rate, that doesn't add up for a battery replacement.

I just did some goolging and looked on toyotapartsbarn.com at a battery for a 2001 Prius. You said it was a 2000, but from what I see, they didn't start selling the Prius in the U.S. until 2001.

They say the MSRP for the battery assembly is $2299. Their price is $1700 plus a $1300 core charge.
http://www.toyotapartsbarn.com/parts/200...gramCallOut=11#

Quote:
[ 11 ] HYBRID COMPONENTS / HYBRID COMPONENTS / BATTERY / BATTERY
battery Prius

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$2,299.00 $1,350.00 $1,701.26

Here's another online dealer:
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2001/To...ID%20COMPONENTS

They quote $2299 again as the battery MSRP. They want $1839 plus a $1350 core.

Something just isn't adding up with some of the high-priced claims in this thread.
21.gif

Actually what I said was that my friends Prius was a mid 2000 prius. That means it was a 2004-5-6. You need to read closer to what I wrote. He priced batteries, and was quoted 1700 to 2000. Battery only. Used cells at that. He is doing the labor, he hopes. Even trying to determ which cells may be bad.

But with all that, driving 15000 miles a year and getting 15 MPG(my friend got about 39-51 MPG with his) better than a car of equal size of a Prius, the fuel savings is about $450 a year. It will take my friend another 3-4 years to break even. Assuming his used battery doesn't fail again. Remember the battery is used!!!

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I was hoping for some useful real-world info form a member here, not another Prius thread with an agenda. Too bad, I guess. Missed opportunity, as I see it.

And how is tig's report not real-world? You simply do not like what he's reporting because it conflicts with what you had read on the net.
He was pretty clear that the car is mid 2000 and that the price quoted by the dealer depends if the battery is remanufactured or brand new.

What you dig out on the net is irrelevant and unless you personally replaced the battery or had it replaced you are in no position to say what it should cost. Also local market conditions play part in pricing.

The standard Toyota labor is 1.6-1.8 hrs. Battery prices are on line. Toyota buys back the old ones for nearly $1400.

Actually what I said was that my friends Prius was a mid 2000 prius. That means it was a 2004-5-6. You need to read closer to what I wrote. He priced batteries, and was quoted 1700 to 2000. Battery only. Used cells at that. He is doing the labor, he hopes. Even trying to determ which cells may be bad.

Ah, that really isn't very clear from the first post. You said "mid 2000," a clearer explanation would have been "mid 2000s."

That brings the MSRP up to $2500 on the sites I mentioned for a new Toyota battery, with selling prices of around $1900 to $2100. Still, that doesn't explain a claim of a $6000 quote from a dealer. Again, $3500, yes.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

And how is tig's report not real-world? You simply do not like what he's reporting because it conflicts with what you had read on the net.
He was pretty clear that the car is mid 2000 and that the price quoted by the dealer depends if the battery is remanufactured or brand new.

I'm simply pointing out that some of the quoted numbers don't make sense. See the actual prices from Toyota for a new pack plus I listed above. Add labor and I don't see how it equals $6000 unless there's a major scam being pulled. I linked to the remanufactured batteries earlier, which are slightly cheaper than new Toyota.

It would be interesting to see an actual printed quote from the dealer in question.

I guess one positive from this thread is it made me google real-world examples from Prius owners who have had them replaced or received quotes from the dealer. I don't think I'll ever own a Prius, but I have a good idea of what it would cost to replace the battery, and it doesn't seem to be in line with some of the claims in this thread.

I've probably learned as much about this topic as I care to. Best of luck to the OP's friend.

I like the Prius.

However, "IF", I were to own one, it would be a newer one, and I'd not drive it to failure. But, the same goes for most cars I'd own. I just don't want to deal with old, non valuable cars. When new ones cost no more than 3c/mile more to drive.

In other words, owning an old car of any sort, is often not the bargain it seems to be.

Put another way, calculate the "payoff" of purchasing a new, fuel efficient car. It's often 150,000 miles or more! That also means that the new car does not cost you more to own. So, why own an old Prius?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

You'd still be "one of them" and seen driving a Prius. I'd rather ride a bicycle than be humiliated by driving a Prius

Don't worry my friend. There is no prius in your future. There is no way you can afford one.

Coming back to the topic. I put 40,000 miles on mine already. I saved $2,600 in gas cost vs corolla I used to drive before. So, I'm ahead of the game even if the battery fails now. Wait, it's warrantied for 100,000 miles. By then, I will be more than $6,000 ahead.

I think problem is with people buying used prius slightly under 200,000 miles and paying top dollars and then faced with huge cost soon after.

Then why are there so many reports, just on BITOG of these engines starting to consume oil well before 100k miles? Just playing devil’s advocate here because many people seem to think that the battery is the only expense on a Prius, which is absurd.

KrisZ- probably the same reason any automotive forum has more than accurately representative problem/repair posts. Because most people do not post on forums just to say "My car is functioning just perfectly! Awesome, right guys?" Oh, and they sell a lot of them.

KrisZ- no, the number is simply not realistic considering labor hours and part cost, even accounting for regional variance. Call your own dealership, and ask for the out the door price, accounting for the core. That's as real-world as it gets. You post up and I'll do the same.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I put 40,000 miles on mine already. I saved $2,600 in gas cost vs corolla I used to drive before.

Your math implies $4.72+ per gallon. And how much was that Prius to buy?

The math is always canted towards justification.

The fact is buying any old car is a [censored] shoot, might run a long time.

Might not. But with CVT's, many-speed transmissions, etc., repair costs will go nowhere but up...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Might not. But with CVT's, many-speed transmissions, etc., repair costs will go nowhere but up...

Maybe with "normal" CVT, but in the prius system works differently. There is no mechanical wear whatsoever, no clutches or belts or anything. It will live as long as inverter and electric motors.

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
So when arguments run out, just say that Prius is kind a gay. Makes sense
laugh.gif

Some people derive their sense of self-worth from the image they believe their vehicles convey to others.

Regarding the topic at hand, assuming 150,000 miles and $3.50 per gallon of gas:

A 30mpg vehicle will use 5,000 gallons of gasoline resulting in fuel costs of $17,500.

A 50mpg vehicle will use 3,000 gallons of gasoline resulting in fuel costs of $10,500.

(I rounded my gas price based on AAA's national average price of $3.517 today.)

Assuming $2,500 for a Dorman battery plus installation, that leaves you with $4,500 to cover any price difference between your chosen hybrid and a comparable conventional vehicle.

Now that I have provided this information, I fully expect to see people cherry-pick vehicle prices, gas prices, and vehicle mileage to grossly distort the figures the side they choose to support in this argument.

The Prius and other hybrids are compelling vehicles for people with certain transportation needs. In some cases, they can be less expensive to operate than a comparable conventional vehicle. In other cases, a comparable conventional vehicle is less expensive. It is up to the buyer to do the math.

Some people have intangibles that they place a value on: power, handling, image, technology (technophobia?), etc. It is difficult to factor those into a price analysis.

It's obvious that a hybrid or a Prius isn't for everyone, but some of the mental gymnastics in this thread are incredible.

He did contact the local Toyota dealer here and the cost for them doing the job would be $3500-$6000 depending on the vehicle and the quality of the battery(new or used). Their labor rate is $125 per hour.

tig1- would be interested to know which Toyota dealer he was in contact with and also the parts/labor breakdown on the $3500-6000 price quote.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I don't understand the Prius hate. There's overwhelming evidence that, even with the threat of a battery failure, it's an extremely inexpensive car to run.

I get that maybe some people just aren't interested in them because they don't like them, but there's no need to rationalize it.

Simple. Oil companies brainwashed simple minded people that hybrid cars is the greatest evil on earth and the hybrid drivers have to be burned alive. BITOG folks fully embraced the idea.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I put 40,000 miles on mine already. I saved $2,600 in gas cost vs corolla I used to drive before.

Your math implies $4.72+ per gallon. And how much was that Prius to buy?

No, the match assumed the $3.3/gal and 56MPG in prius vs 28MPG in corolla. My real life MPG figures (almost 100% city driving).

I paid $21,000 way back in 2010. Comparable Matrix was about $19,000 at that time, but I didn't like it on my test drive.

How much does the electricity cost to recharge the batteries in the equations above?

Kudos to you early Prius purchasers. You are paving the way to better things in the future.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
How much does the electricity cost to recharge the batteries in the equations above?

Normal Prius isn't a plug in so cost is zero. Hybrid battery storages braking energy (saves your pads and discs too) and kinetic energy while going downhill for later usage.

Originally Posted By: strat81

Some people have intangibles that they place a value on: power, handling, image, technology (technophobia?), etc. It is difficult to factor those into a price analysis.

It's obvious that a hybrid or a Prius isn't for everyone, but some of the mental gymnastics in this thread are incredible.

Very pragmatic post, thank you.

Originally Posted By: moving2
He did contact the local Toyota dealer here and the cost for them doing the job would be $3500-$6000 depending on the vehicle and the quality of the battery(new or used). Their labor rate is $125 per hour.

tig1- would be interested to know which Toyota dealer he was in contact with and also the parts/labor breakdown on the $3500-6000 price quote.

A local one. UPDATE!! My friend(I'll call him Jim) found a considerable amount of corrision around the terminals at the battery. He cleaned that and is in the process on dis-charging the 38 cells. He says he has made his own devise to do this. Next step according to Jim is find which cells, if any, are dead. Then he will attempt to find the best price to purchase the used replacements. What a hassle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back