Battery, Alternator, or Starter?

Or just go to the starter signal wire and check for it getting signal when key is turned to crank...bypass all the other stuff and eliminate its failure or not.

I have had odd things happen with Subaru Forester where battery was dead and I could not find anything I had left on. Charged the battery and it was fine. Get the battery and alternator tested.

I feel there was something I had left on but never figured out what.
I have an outback, sometimes when the dog gets in the cargo department, her head hits the light switch on the top and turns it on. I had to duct tape the switch closed to prevent this after she did it a few times.

Out with the old
1615937881328.jpg

In with the new
1615937916590.jpg

1615937942960.jpg

I am very confident in my troubleshooting steps. All connections were corrosion free and very clean. The alternator shop even confirmed what I was telling them sounded like a bad starter (this is a good honest shop)

Wasn't too difficult. The Honda Odyssey Battery tray can go straight to hell. That thing was the most PITA part of the project.

first off get a free load test from most auto part chains then go from there! a little late but good its fixed. a friend went nuts $$$ when he seen the cost of an Acura starter aka glorified Honda!!! Honda dealer WOULD NOT Touch his Acura even oil changes$$$

I’d keep the old one and have it rebuilt for next time. 🙂
There will probably not be a "next time" for the starter of this van at least from my ownership. I plan on actually bringing it back to the alternator shop I bought it from so they can confirm it was bad and let them have it for parts.

Honda dealer WOULD NOT Touch his Acura even oil changes$$$
In many cases, I think this is kinda a "gentlemen's agreement" between dealers. That or the same person/group/company owns both and protects each other's brand.

The alternator shop
Did they have the starter you needed in stock ? I thought those guys usually rebuilt units where you drop yours off, wait a couple days, then pick it up and reinstall. I guess they can have a limited stock (and you got lucky).

Did they have the starter you needed in stock ? I thought those guys usually rebuilt units where you drop yours off, wait a couple days, then pick it up and reinstall. I guess they can have a limited stock (and you got lucky).
This was brand new. I asked them if they rebuild them and they said not this particular model. He claimed to sell a few of these a week and that they are very good.

Back