Batteries with top and side-mounted posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Chevrolet Express 3500 cargo van. It has an FI, V8, 6L, gasoline engine.

I purchased the van in November 2004 and have had the same battery up until now. It is a six-year battery that I've had in the vehicle for 8 years. I have had no problems with it but I don’t want to just go until it dies so I'm thinking about replacing it.

It has side-mounted posts and when I replace it I'll have to get a battery with side-mounted posts but I'm thinking about getting one of those batteries that also has top-mounted posts so that if I need to give or get a jump it will be easier to connect with the top-mounted posts.

I want to get a battery with virgin lead. What are the highest quality batteries, regardless of cost, and are there any issues with batteries with both types of posts on them?

Look for a battery made by JCI (Johnson Controls). Many MAXX batteries (not all) at Walmart are JCI, Interstate are always JCI.

Good luck on the dual connectors.

If the battery has removable cell caps and the corners of both cell caps are cut off at 45 degrees, its a JCI battery. (That is until the Chinese copy that).

When I owned Chevy trucks, I always used that type of battery. Made it A LOT easier to jump or give a jump.

I have a W*M EverStart DT(dual terminal) in my Firebird which has side mount terminals. I bought the DT just in case I wanted to use the battery in another vehices for any reason.

I would aim for a Johnson Controls or a Deka battery.

In regard to the dual terminal, lots of luck with that. The only ones I see around here are from farm stores and they are usually Exides.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I would aim for a Johnson Controls or a Deka battery.

In regard to the dual terminal, lots of luck with that. The only ones I see around here are from farm stores and they are usually Exides.

They all make them. O/P is likely after a group 34/78.

Another reason dual-terminal batteries are great:

After getting my company-owned work van back from a repair, I noticed they had cross-threaded the positive connector into the side terminal. Since the terminals are lead, and lead is soft, the nut inside the terminal just spun, making a bad connection. This was a fairly new battery, so I wanted to save it. I went down to VatoZone and bought a side-terminal to top terminal adapter for a few dollars...problem solved.
Originally Posted By: ChevyVan
I want to get a battery with virgin lead.
Why?

I have seen those dual terminal batteries fail in 1-2 years.They usually promote 900 cold cranking amps or better....I think they are trying to stuff too much into a group 75/78 sized battery (remember,there are extra terminals and the associated wiring inside to take up space).Garages love them though as they can make them fit almost anything,cutting down on inventory.

I want to get a battery with virgin lead...

The only batteries made with pure virgin lead (99.9% pure, according to Sears, Odyssey, Optima.. ) are AGM or GEL batteries.
Dual terminal examples: SEARS DieHard Platinum 34/78DT or Odyssey 34/78-PC1500.

I like Exide batteries. My previous Regal had a dual terminal 78 in it for almost 7 years. When I scrapped the car I saved many things including that same battery. A few months later my buddy bought a 02 Regal GS and the battery is now in it. It is rated at 770CCA and tested at 720 something.

Is this battery going to be for engine starting only, or going into a Van, is it going to be tasked with powering items with the engine off too?

The 'Virgin' lead comment makes me think you are already aware of Odyssey batteries, most of which do come with both side and top terminals.

Sears Die hard Platinums are rebadged odysseys, and slightly cheaper, but still double the price of any flooded battery.

I don't believe that the battery that JC makes for Interstate is the same one they make for Wallyworld.

Top posts are easier for jump starts, that's for sure. More and more vehicles are now using a remote positive post with a plastic red cap, a smart idea. I've been totally happy with the WalMart/Johnson Control Batteries.

Originally Posted By: carwreck

I want to get a battery with virgin lead...

The only batteries made with pure virgin lead (99.9% pure, according to Sears, Odyssey, Optima.. ) are AGM or GEL batteries.
Dual terminal examples: SEARS DieHard Platinum 34/78DT or Odyssey 34/78-PC1500.

ALL of the EnerSys, or Optima batteries I've seen for my car are dual terminal.
It seems like they just do not make them in side terminal only.
wink.gif

If anyone here is a chemist or battery designer can you please tell me if "virgin" lead would be any better than reclaimed lead? I think not. Virgin lead is derived from ore that has to be processed to obtain "pure" lead. Recycled lead just needs to be separated from impurities.

Seems to me that recycled would be better than virgin. This is not olive oil.

It's been years since I got one but WM used to and probably still does carry the DT-3N or DT-3, the "N" is for "North" and has more CCA. This is the universal top and side post. I ran one in my ciera and it was great.

They don't have advance autos in oregon or I'd say go there.

WM recently cheaped out on their battery warranties, it used to be free plus prorate now it's just a shorter free time. However there are WMs everywhere open late if you have a problem, and the clerks aren't all "car guys" or vested in company stock so the odds of you getting a new battery are slightly better, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back