Basic Toyota 90915-yzzf1vs. TRD

Decided to try the TRD filter for my Lotus, ordered it through the local dealer. The TRD filter, which xref's to the other, is significantly shorter, which I am not thrilled with, but also not sure if it matters. The weights are similar. Completely different designs. Aside from the visible differences, the TRD has the plastic center tube, a blue plastic Fram like poppet type relief valve, square section sealing gasket and no cellophane cap. The TRD COO is USA, the standard one is COO Thailand.

The bottom pic is the standard Toyota (Lotus branded) filter, cut.

For a car that sees ~year, the size probably doesn't matter...I'll post the cut pics in a year:)

tf1.jpg

tf2.jpg

full-2933-16077-le_filter_1.jpg

TRD looks like supertech MP in a KN type can. ADBV same color too. My toyota dealer has a perma-coupon for $3.99 OEM filters, I think I will grab one of those out of convenience next time. The construction is pretty good if you don't care about efficiency. Currently using PH4967.

So my statement was accurate based on TRD filters I have purchased over the past few years. I have not seen one with the plastic cage instead of metal tube.

Since the new TRD filter has the plastic cage, can you verify the media is white synthetic instead of the paper blend?

I can see in your picture the box shows the synthetic media, but boxes have been wrong before!

Last edited:
The TRD spin on looks to be the now standard Champ Labs ecore construction, also used by AC Delco and Super Tech. As noted, one shown looks much like ST MP series with blue adbv. Perhaps media is different on the TRD, IDK. Afaik, ST/MP efficiency 99@30um. Either way, my speculation is it's at least as good or likely better than the Toyota Denso OF pictured.

Just had another thought, new Royal Purple (also made by Champ) now also uses same construction but with synthetic media, iirc. Like the TRD cartridge, spin on 'could be' an RP clone. Recently saw K&N spin also made by Champ Labs, and like Super Tech, it uses cellulose/blend media. So, just depends what media TRD has.

Last edited:
Back