Basic Router For Roku

Whatever is on deal at your local electronics store for the most basic router. Most basic routers are plug and play (some will have a web interface to complete setup) and will give you a unique wifi SSID and password to connect your wireless devices to.

Some good brands are Netgear, Linksys, ASUS.

I have an Asus RT-58U, has yet to give me a problem. Uptime is currently 37 days 16 hours. My netgear worked fine for 7-8 months and started giving me trouble...

I was wondering the same thing. Warstud can you post of pic of what you have for your Internet connection at your house? Also what speed service do you have?
The Router and Roku is a Christmas Present for my mother that has Charter Cable TV.

Reactions: JC1
If she only has cable TV, she would need to subscribe to Internet service. If that is all she will do with the Internet just use the cable company supplied modem / router. It will provide a wifi signal to the Roku. The company provided router isn't the best thing to have but it has a big advantage that you won't have to install and administer it.

If she only has cable TV, she would need to subscribe to Internet service. If that is all she will do with the Internet just use the cable company supplied modem / router. It will provide a wifi signal to the Roku. The company provided router isn't the best thing to have but it has a big advantage that you won't have to install and administer it.
but you will have a monthly fee.
I bought my mom a cable modem for $45 and a router for $40 16 months ago. Cable company charge for their combo modem/router is $13/month.
I spent an hour setting up her stuff and have not touched it since then. Well worth it IMO to buy instead, and knowing she has decent equipment.

I would rather buy a router than rent one. Do I need a Modem and a Router or just a Router ?
There are modem-routers, FYI. I would keep them separate though. You can use the ISP modem and then buy a router if that makes you feel better. Asus, Netgear, TP-Link are good options. That, or you can go with an open source alternative such as pfSense, etc.

Using LINKSYS AC-1600 , EA-6400 . Works very well and has long range . Not expensive and easy to set up . Use the cheaper ROKU stick ( USB) with it . Great picture .

Motorola AC 2600 - Model # MR2600

As far as I am concerned, it will blow away anything near or twice its price. Range is fantastic. Cost $99.
I have been using it for a month now, replaced my trusty TP Link Archer C7 1700 simply because the Archer was getting old @ 5 years.
It was a great router.

The Motorola performs every bit as good, rock solid with even further range and less latency. Have 20+ devices in my home (incl 5 Roku players) and the speed difference when for example pulling up our security cameras, there is literally no delay, maybe two snaps of your finger, very impressed..
Even though your needs are not large, keep in mind with that $99 you get great range as well.

Back