BASF additive . What is it ? Used by GULF ...

I think its impossible to know exactly what they're using.

Here's a list of EPA registered gas additives:
BASF manufactures many.

Keropur seems to be the main brand name, but encompasses many formulations apparently:
You can buy on Amazon, but only in UK/EU?

Here's the only safety data sheet i could find quickly.
It contains trade secret "methylated homopolymer", i'm not sure if that could be PEA or a related poly-amine.

BASF is just a big chemical company where fuel additives are a part of their chemical portfolio. There are other additive companies like Afton, Lubrizol, and even Chevron Oronite. The irony is that Chevron sells to its competitors.

I concur that there's no way to know exactly what it is. BASF has so many formulations including custom ones for specific customers. They also can "scale" where a minimum amount meets EPA minimum requirements as well as higher concentrations meet Top Tier requirements.

As for the EPA list, you'll want to see the certified detergent additives, which only applies to bulk additives meant for introduction at the gas station and/or bulk fuel terminal. They mostly get added when the fuel goes from the fuel depot to the tanker, although sometimes it's added at the gas station from onsite bulk tanks or even manually by pouring out of bottles.

BASF has a bunch of name brands including Keropur and PURADD. They also list Invigorate, which I thought was a BP trademark. That's kind of unusual though. Lubrizol makes Lubrizol 9888 for Costco (Costco says UltraZol 9888 which isn't listed) and I'm pretty sure that's a custom additive.

Keropur seems to be the main brand name, but encompasses many formulations apparently:
You can buy on Amazon, but only in UK/EU?

I think you're referring to Keropur G or Keropur D, which are consumer level additives in a can. I guess BASF isn't really involved in the consumer market in the United States any more.

KEROPUR_G_packshot_web.jpg.dynamic.768w432h.9c8c421327581463338de86f932a1b794e576b59.jpeg

They used to have a series of commercials in the US about their products, but it wasn't really about making the products but "making them better".

Last edited by a moderator:
gasoline to help with cleaning . Is it as good as P.E.A. ? https://www.gulfoil.com/products . Have used GULF in the past and got good gas mileage with it . It was usually the 93 octane . Some of the GULF gas stations are now CUMBERLAND FARMS . Wonder if those use the BASF additive :unsure:. Here's the history of GULF , https://www.nu-tierbrands.com/gulf-brand/lubricants/ .

The word they’ll use when asked is “proprietary”. Even if they said what the exact product name is, the product is still considered proprietary. All you’ll ever get is that it meets a certain performance standard.

Mercedes sells Keropur under its own brand name; its use is encouraged in countries and/or areas where fuel quality is poor.

Its chemical composition comprises of PIBA (Polyisobutylene-amine) as opposed to PEA.

The Germans are fond of BASF additives. BASF along with DowDuPont, Clariant and CCI also supplies the OEMs with brake fluid. BASF is also involved in paint oddly enough - the main coatings supplier for Mercedes and VW.

BMW and Mercedes sell relabeled Techron in the US.

Back