base oil used in various Mobil 1 0 and 5W20 weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
I long since left the arguments of Group III vs Group IV base oils. Their is such a fine line between them that the average person's vehicle would never know the difference. And the difference is not all that great.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/533/base-oil-trends

It would seem anymore that the main focus when buying a synthetic should be on add pack instead of base oil. Even the best PAO, if it has a poor add pack, is going to be worse than a good Group III with a strong add pack.

I agree with you.

The other issue is 'mixability' of the various versions of Mobil 1......even within the same series..for instance...I would have assumed that if I had 4 qts. of 0w20 AP for my Escape and topped off the additional 1.7 qts. with 5w20 AP (5.7qts. capacity) that they were nearly identical except for a little viscosity difference....now I realize that the formulas can be quite different and maybe it would affect the mix negatively...?

But I thought you can't judge a oil's life based on color?

Dark color also means it's cleaning the engine, doesn't it? [/quote]

Oil turns black from oxidation. This can happen from normal heat cycling or from contaminants acting as catalysts for oxidation. Anti-oxidants resist oxidation. The DI package has less impact besides the neutralization and mopping up of acidic contaminants. Break-in oil will turn dark in just a few hundred miles in a fresh, clean engine. It's formulated for maximum wear protection during the crucial break-in period with far less concern for oxidation inhibition.

Also note that there are some ashless dispersants that turn dark when exposed to UV light (from combustion events) making the oil appear black even though its not.[/quote]

Thanks for your explanations!

I have been doing that to use up stray oil … I stick with same brand and hot viscosity number …

Originally Posted by fortesquieu

But I thought you can't judge a oil's life based on color?
Dark color also means it's cleaning the engine, doesn't it?

Direct injection engines produce a fair amount of soot that can turn motor oil dark/black quite rapidly.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Think I got you covered on AP, I got 4- 5qt jugs, & 20 qt. bottles, but I got even more 10W30 EP also! I won't show pic's cause I have serious oil hoard issue's!

I was late to the party on AP, and had local BITOG competition who beat me to the punch. But idk, I kinda doubt you have me covered as a total. This was just my most recent haul that I was paid to take, plus paid a whole lot more for in pending rebates. Not to mention my existing stash...
24.gif

Post in the stash thread, or make a new one, just maybe I'll show a picture, maybe...If that's your stash, yes I got you covered.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Originally Posted by tony1679
This was just my most recent haul that I was paid to take, plus paid a whole lot more for in pending rebates. Not to mention my existing stash...
24.gif

If that's your stash, yes I got you covered.
No.. "This was just my most recent haul", my stash hasn't been featured here. Perhaps I should change that
grin2.gif

I never thought my life would be reduced to competing over who has the largest motor oil stash on an online forum
crackmeup2.gif
frown.gif

Its not, lol=;) If you have a stash even 1/4 to 1/2 the size of mine, and I see you do, you need an intervention, just ask my wife! When I show her how much I paid for it, she says if it fits in "your space in the basement, well OK"

Ok, I'll do it in a lil bit, new thread! But there is going to be plenty of what is wrong with you comments! You need more vehicles for that oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back