Base Oil Information

From multiple sources......

*BITOG......VOA/UOA section
*oil-club.ru.....VOA/UOA section
*oil-club.de.....VOA/UOA section
*various PDS/MDS from internet of oil you are interested in...

I did search, but couldn't find it. May be need to work in search skills as well :)
I think what kschachn was alluding to was that this question gets asked frequently, but never gets a concrete answer because there isn't one. Oil manufacturers are not obligated to release base oil group composition, so they don't, and the testing required to uncover such information independently is cost prohibitive.

Last edited:
I think was kschachn was alluding to was that this question gets asked freuently, but never gets a concrete answer because there isn't one. Oil manufacturers are not obligated to release base oil group composition, so they don't, and the testing required to uncover such information independently is cost prohibitive.

This. Some companies like Mobil 1 are more specific with their safety data sheets than others but what you will see are ranges of base oil products instead of exact quantities.

Obviously we are dealing with proprietary information. It is also a moving target as they are reformulating oils all the time.

For the end user, if the oil meets the specs and certifications their vehicle recommends or requires, that is all they need to know.

Generally the only way to find out is a detailed chemical analysis and pretty much reverse engineering the oil, as nowadays oil formulations are gaurded as trade secret, although Exxon-Mobil seems to divulge quite a lot of info on base oils on their SDSs but even then it's obscured in relatively wide ranges.

Try the MSDS of the company and oil you are interested in.

1-decene is Group IV
Most everything else is Group III or Group III+(GTL)
Group III would show up as something to severely hydrocracked paraffinic distillate
Group III is usually, something along the lines of "Petroleum Distillates, heavy paraffinis, branched cyclic and linear C18-C50."

You could always ask very pointed specific yes or no questions regarding base oils types.

If the answers you get back are along the lines of "yes we use that" or "no we don't use that", then there you go.

If the answer you get back is a bunch of nonsense talking around in circles, then there you go.

Group III would show up as something to severely hydrocracked paraffinic distillate
Group III is usually, something along the lines of "Petroleum Distillates, heavy paraffinis, branched cyclic and linear C18-C50."
That should read Group III+ is usually, something along the lines of "Petroleum Distillates, heavy paraffinic, branched cyclic and linear C18-C50."

OP, that is hard information to get, and often a formula will change so it‘s almost a never ending question.

I think a more productive way forward is to study OEM oil specifications and select oils that meet these specs and your requirements.

For example if you want a thinner fuel economy style oil that is good with smaller turbo direct injected engines, start with API SN-Plus or SP, then add Dexos1-Gen2, and then look for one that also carries Euro A5/B5.

If you want a thicker, high performance, long life oil, start with Euro ACEA A3/B4, then add MB 229.5 (for low Noack) then add Porsche A40 for extreme wear testing.

For a mid-SAPS oil, ACEA C3 plus Dexos2 and MB 229.51
etc

This comparison tool may be of interest to you

For example if you want a thinner fuel economy style oil that is good with smaller turbo direct injected engines, start with API SN-Plus or SP, then add Dexos1-Gen2, and then look for one that also carries Euro A5/B5.
Which is exactly why I chose Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 to use in my Jeep 2L turbo. Not only does it have the above approvals but, as an added bonus Pennzoil threw in, at no additional cost mind you, MS-13340 which is FCA's "spec" for this engine and the old Honda/Acura HTO-06 approval. I honestly don't know how they fit all of that in a 5 quart jug, let alone a one quart bottle!

Reactions: SR5
Which is exactly why I chose Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 to use in my Jeep 2L turbo. Not only does it have the above approvals but, as an added bonus Pennzoil threw in, at no additional cost mind you, MS-13340 which is FCA's "spec" for this engine and the old Honda/Acura HTO-06 approval. I honestly don't know how they fit all of that in a 5 quart jug, let alone a one quart bottle!
Exactly, and you know that PP is a full synthetic made on a GTL base. So all is good.

It has a nice low PP of -48 C
and a KV100 of 9.8 cSt

From J300 we know 9.3 cSt is when a 20 grade becomes a 30 grade. So PP 5W30 would also be a good option for somebody looking for a “thick 20 grade” oil, once they are out of warranty (or if they live in Australia where most manufacturers allow many oil viscosity grades).

Exactly, and you know that PP is a full synthetic made on a GTL base. So all is good.

It has a nice low PP of -48 C
and a KV100 of 9.8 cSt

From J300 we know 9.3 cSt is when a 20 grade becomes a 30 grade. So PP 5W30 would also be a good option for somebody looking for a “thick 20 grade” oil, once they are out of warranty (or if they live in Australia where most manufacturers allow many oil viscosity grades).
Yep, big fan of the GTL based Platinum. Use the 5W-30 in my daughters 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe and the 5W-20 in my Ram 1500. The KV of the 5W-20 is 8.6 cSt, I’m tempted to use the 5W-30 in the Ram but will probably stick to the 5W-20 until the warranty is up.

Reactions: SR5
OP, the conversation above reminds me that Pennzoil Platinum also know as Shell Helix Ultra are all GTL (gas to liquid, Group III+) full synthetics, which is excellent base stock.

Depending on where I am, my concern may not be base stock, but rather avoiding counterfeit products. Trusted supply line is also very important.

Gas chromatography (GC) is the best technique for identifying and quantifying the base oil composition in motor oils, but it doe has its limitations. It can easily see most (not all) PAOs, ANs, esters, and mineral oil distillates commonly used in motor oil formulations, but stumbles in distinguishing among Groups I, II, and III stocks, especially when blended. GC is also expensive and requires experienced interpretation. I used it for decades in my career and found it to be a valuable tool in analyzing products from the market when combined with other test data.

Of course the looming question is how important is the base oil composition given that most of the performance in motor oils comes from the additives. I am much more interested in the specifications met and and approvals obtained than how the formulator got there. The exceptions would be for substantially extended drain intervals or temperature extremes where a more stable base oil blend can make a contribution. These conditions are not relevant for the vast majority of drivers.

Back