Barney, Mike and Eli...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man it is awesome to listen to Barney Hall, Mike Joy and Eli Gold call a race from the 1979 World 600 on MRN...

Tremendous talent with those guys calling that race.

Really great to hear those guys do a great job calling a race.

This race is on YouTube... A video of the race using the MRN radio cast.

One point I am making here is this .. .

Announcer teams can and DO make a big difference in watching anything....

And you need TALENT to make that work really well.

Put it like this... Richard Petty did some race call work on TBS for a bit... And bless his heart but Richard was TERRIBLE... He just could not do it. Wrong voice, no ability to articulate his points well.

Now... Neil Bonnett did it and was really good at it... Buddy Baker was really quite good at calling races in the booth. Benny Parsons was great at it has well. Ned Jarrett was the equivalent of Pat Summerall in the booth... And he was great along side BP and Bob Jenkins...

All of those guys I just mentioned had the talent to do a great job in the booth. They had the voice to do it and the ability to articulate their points really well.

I enjoy listening to the satellite feed NASCAR race videos... Buddy Baker would keep right on commentating on the race even on commercial breaks
lol.gif

And Mike Joy and Neil would talk all kinds of junk on the commercial breaks.

I don't mean no harm... And I was and am a huge Dale Earnhardt Jr fan.... But Dale and Jeff Burton are just not the right guys in the booth to call a race. And when comparing them to the guys who really are good at it... There's a big big difference.

Last edited:
The radio calls are fantastic. MRN and PRN do amazing jobs. If you have Sirius, they will replay old MRN races on NASCAR channel 90 on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back