Barium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, question for you tribologist out there. I use Cenpeco S3 30 Wt in my boat's diesel engine and I have had very good service with it according to Blackstone. Low wear metals and high TBN retention strong Calcium and Zinc content, but it is the only UAO's I have seen with Barium of any amount in it (usually in 80's). It is my understandings Barium is used as a detergent. Any other use and why do you suppose they seem to be the only one using it?

Interesting, since Barium is a heavy metal and has been removed from most engine oils.

Barium is a multi-functional agent and is used as a Corrosion Inhibitor, Rust Inhibitor, Demulsifier, and soot disperser.

It usually comes in a chemical form known as barium dinonylnaphthalene sulfonate.

Last edited:
No coolant leak. Interesting rust preventative. When I talked to their engineer, one of the reasons he suggested the S3 for my application was because it met a military sailtwater spec. He said several of their oils do because they make oils for obsolete equipment many of which are antiques and are not used a lot and need to be protected from corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back