Ban on petrol and diesel cars due in 2030 may have to be scrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see all the Community Colleges free for those who do the work.
The problem is those who don't do the work will be the first to complain, say they're being treated unfair and want compensation in some other form. Like a cash payout instead. It would be a bad move imo. There are scholarships for those who are smart enough and worthy of it, and loans for those who aren't. Those taking the loans should either pay them back, or look at a trade or some other vocation if they feel they won't be able to pay it back. That system worked fine when I grew up, it can work now too.

The problem is those who don't do the work will be the first to complain, say they're being treated unfair and want compensation in some other form. Like a cash payout instead. It would be a bad move imo. There are scholarships for those who are smart enough and worthy of it, and loans for those who aren't. Those taking the loans should either pay them back, or look at a trade or some other vocation if they feel they won't be able to pay it back. That system worked fine when I grew up, it can work now too.
Sure, just listen to all the complainers here. They are so unfairly treated!
I absolutely agree with your point regarding the people who don't do the work and snivel. When I started in high tech, there were a bunch of people who took long breaks, smoked tobacco and weed and drank beer. The immigrants kept their nose to the grindstone and did not complain. Often husband and wife worked different shifts so one could care for the children. I learned a lot about life from them.

The point you are missing is, we need qualified people. If you want qualified people you have to make them. For example, most of my education was paid for by the companies I worked for. In fact, they wanted send me to Santa Clara or Stanford for grad work. I am pretty sure they didn't encourage me to finish my education because they thought I was cute.

If we don't get better, we have to import qualified help. And/or cede the future to China.

Last edited:
Why does anything have to be "free"? Why does wealth have to be "redistributed"? If you want wealth, then work for it. The problem is that concept has been lost in society.

People feel they're entitled. They're not.
It's not entitlement. It's investment.

There is a sense of pride and accomplishment when a person works for their education . They will not appreciate it if it is given to them rather than working jobs to help pay for it or studying hard beforehand to earn a scholarship.

Absolutely. The wealth will go to China if we let it. It seems the anti EV crowd, at best, do not understand that.

Exactly. Not sure how people aren’t seeing how China is on the verge of becoming the biggest player in the global auto industry, through EVs.

Exactly. Not sure how people aren’t seeing how China is on the verge of becoming the biggest player in the global auto industry, through EVs.

They already are the number one market for all automotive. The US is number two. This might be a surprise but India has passed Japan and us now number three in the world.

The point you are missing is, we need qualified people. If you want qualified people you have to make them. For example, most of my education was paid for by the companies I worked for. In fact, they wanted send me to Santa Clara or Stanford for grad work. I am pretty sure they didn't encourage me to finish my education because they thought I was cute.

If we don't get better, we have to import qualified help. And/or cede the future to China.
I'm really not missing the point at all. If a company is willing to make an investment and pay for an education that means the employee was/is worth the investment. People not worth the investment get passed up, canned, quit, or many times get paid and complain about how unfairly they were treated. Many *****, shift blame and leave, some are even spiteful. Another thing about companies making investments in paying for an employees education, it's on their dime, not the taxpayer's. FTR that kind of free education I'm all for. ;)

I'm really not missing the point at all. If a company is willing to make an investment and pay for an education that means the employee was/is worth the investment. People not worth the investment get passed up, canned, quit, or many times get paid and complain about how unfairly they were treated. Many *****, shift blame and leave, some are even spiteful. Another thing about companies making investments in paying for an employees education, it's on their dime, not the taxpayer's. FTR that kind of free education I'm all for. ;)
Actually, I think they offer education assistance to keep employees. Would I be more valuable? Maybe. But I don't think they pay me one penny more than they have to.

Now, stock options are another thing. That's where the $$ is. Golden handcuffs for the win!

It's always kinda disappointing when people resort to "LOL", jokes and insult when they run out of ideas, or when they are faced with the truth.
You are talking like a give away artist, that is the truth like it or not. I call it as I see it, when people start with this give away crap on the taxpayers dime what I have to say is not fit for polite company or a forum. I paid for most of my 2 kids education and paid taxes for every kids eduction K-12 before and since, how much more do you want?

Merit based education benefits for those who are worthwhile investing in is one thing but free for all is another, no illegal alien should get anything on the taxpayer dime not even a pup tent.
I am all for giving the benefit to people if they cannot afford it by giving it after they have done a min 4 years of military or public service (not the dog catcher).

I dont need to use insults or LOL on you, your arguments appear to be nothing more than agenda driven drivel.

Last edited:
You are talking like a give away artist, that is the truth like it or not. I call it as I see it, when people start with this give away crap on the taxpayers dime what I have to say is not fit for polite company or a forum. I paid for most of my 2 kids education and paid taxes for every kids eduction K-12 before and since, how much more do you want?

Merit based education benefits for those who are worthwhile investing in is one thing but free for all is another, no illegal alien should get anything on the taxpayer dime not even a pup tent.
I am all for giving the benefit to people if they cannot afford it by giving it after they have done a min 4 years of military or public service (not the dog catcher).

I dont need to use insults or LOL on you, your arguments appear to be nothing more than agenda driven drivel.
Wrong again. I said people who work for it. Regardless, the point you are missing is, we need a better educated workforce, starting with the trades. The money invested in an educated workforce is paid back many times over. Poor people don't pay much in the way of taxes, in fact they often become a liability to the tax base. Not to mention countries like China who are kicking out butt in Math and Engineering.

I pay more taxes than most people make in a year. More than $100K in the best years. Does that make all the people who pay less than me a bunch of low lifes? CA used to have the promise of low cost, quality education. Still have the best public University system in the world, but not nearly as affordable. Because of the public University system, we are the 4th largest economy in the world by ourselves. We finished ahead of Germany last year. Do you have any idea how much of the nation's tax base we pay?

I am not asking you to pay 1 more penny than your already are. In fact, my guess is you already pay too much. That's my opinion.
By the way, paying a lot of taxes is a great problem to have. A whole lot better than paying none.

And good on you for helping your children through school; it seems you do value education as you paid good money for it. My father never paid 1 cent towards mine. I paid every penny while working 50+ hours and going to school at night.

You put a lot of words into my mouth that I never said. So who is the one with agenda driven drivel? It ain't me.

Last edited:
They already are the number one market for all automotive. The US is number two. This might be a surprise but India has passed Japan and us now number three in the world.
Actually, if you realize that China & India both are developing economies, with each having over TRIPLE the USA’s population, it’s not surprising at all! Japan is a special case, they have been trending so much older in average age of their population, and their unfortunate bias towards the “gaijin” immigrant foreigners, they’re likely to continue their population decline.

The general problem is 'political correctness' causes intolerance, then aggression and harassment and then attacks, you can guess what next step is.

California passed some similar legislaton that ban's the sale of gasoline powered vehicles by 2035.
It sounds like a great idea on paper, save the earth, prevent global warming, etc.
But it will end up costing the consumer a lot of money.

A hidden looming safety catastrophe of electric cars is their weight.
Pickup trucks can weight as much as 9,000 pounds with the electric batteries.
If one of those has a crash with a regular gasoline passenger car, the occupants of the passenger car might have a much higher risk of death or serious injury due to the very high forces of having a crash where the other moving vehicle weighs 9,000 pounds.
Ban trucks for civilian usage then. The oversized ones are heavy. Especially EV ones. The cars aren't really that much heavier and in some cases they aren't. Adding enough batteries to a truck to make decent range to offset the way a truck is designed is the problem.

Seriously I don't want hit by any of them, especially the Hummer EV in my Model 3 or GTI.

Enough of that. Political commentary, derailed, going in circles, bickering off topic, and just as a practical matter we only need one current topic, complaining about a topic, at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back