Baldwin oil filters manufacturing codes, too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at my four Baldwin BT223 filters today, and I called Baldwin Technical Services to interpret the date codes. It ends up that one filter was made in 2004, one in 2005 and two in 2006. I asked him about shelf life, and the advisor said Baldwin does not have a recommended shelf life, but they don't accept any returns (from distributors) that are more than 5 years old. He didn't seem to think the paper media would be compromised unless it got wet.

The filters have never gotten damp or wet. Always stored in a dry, insulated garage. Are they OK to use for 1,000 mile OCIs in my Alfa, or should I buy new ones?

I would just be worried about ozone attacking the rubber gaskets and anti-drain-back valves.

If filters where stored away from the furnace or electric motors, you should be OK.

For that short an OCI, I certainly wouldn't worry. I've used filters that are that old. It wouldn't be my preference for an enormous OCI, but for something that conservative, I'd go for it.

I would use the filters in my car, as long as I knew they were stored properly (and I didn't see any signs of rust anywhere), but that's just me. Many people will not use filters that are more than 5 years old. If you are not sure about using them (for example, if you are concerned that the media might have deteriorated over time), then I wouldn't use them to save some peace of mind. For many, it wouldn't be worth the risk to your engine.

I agree with the first two replies. Being stored in that manner even the gaskets/anti-drainbacks should be fine, especially in a short oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back