Baldwin High Flow vs. Fleetguard Venturi Combo Bypass Flow/Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a comparison between Baldwin High Velocity Dual Flow vs. Fleetguard Venturi Combo?

The design of the Baldwin bypass appears to be a synthetic fiber media, while Fleetguard appears to be a metal stacked media disc. But I don't know, and I can't tell if the bypass media is metal or fiber. I've seen metal disc filters on industrial equipment, and those engines seem to last forever.

What I really want to know is the cold start flow rate.
Also want to know how good the bypass material (fiber or metal) is.

Filter doesn't do much good if it doesn't flow or gets clogged.

Thanks in advance.

The bypass on a Venturi is stacked synthetic fiber media, which receives flow from the venturi in the base directing a portion of the oil flow at it. They're hexagons, that have holes in them that don't line up with each other. The main media of a Venturi is standard wire backed synthetic media. I haven't cut open an unused one, they're too expensive not to use. The Baldwins are cheaper, but they're a lot like the old Mercedes filters for diesel-two different types of media.

They are an amazing concept (ONLY if the flow rate is high enough!)

I have yet to see any tests that show it's worth the extra cost.

It's a bypass filter in there. Seems to be working for me. My soot levels have plummeted since I started using the LF9028.

Running 25k mile OCIs has yet to bring me to condemnation limits. I could probably do 40k or 50k on a CI-4+ oil with big TBN.

Expensive, but worth it to me.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
My soot levels have plummeted since I started using the LF9028.
Running 25k mile OCIs has yet to bring me to condemnation limits. I could probably do 40k or 50k on a CI-4+ oil with big TBN.

That's impressive!

Is this anecdotal, or is there data sheets showing particle counts, or....?

UOAs in the diesel section. Soot levels part of the UOA. I've done two 25K mile OCIs. Only "problem" I had was that my TBN got a little low (2.5) on the last run due to a clogged crankcase vent filter. Crankcase was barely breathing at all. I actually caught the problem because of the UOA. My rings are tight enough the case pressure never got high enough to set a code.

TBN fallout combined with potassium with no coolant or water (oil enters charge air system and leaches potassium from intercooler before being ingested by the engine) are the calling card of overdue CCV filter.
[Linked Image]

Oils are mislabeled. Amsoil AME 15W-40 on the right, Schaeffer 15w-40 next, then Schaeffer 5W-40, then Redline 15W-40.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Does the venturi create the necessary flow rate?
What is the minimum flow rate required?

Originally Posted by snakyjake
Originally Posted by Linctex

Does the venturi create the necessary flow rate?
What is the minimum flow rate required?

It's actually flow vs delta-p of the filter that matters since it's a PD oil pump that's moving the oil.

Call or email the filter maker and ask them if they have any flow vs delta-p data the can share.

Might anyone know the oil flow for the Ford Powerstroke 7.3L (Fleetguard LF3974)?

I guarantee it is higher. You've seen that oil filter right? A child's fist could go into the center tube without touching the sides.

I've heard 18.5 GPM at 3300 rpm. Don't know if that is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back