Baldwin/Hastings vs Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whichever is most easily available and cheapest. They're quality filters that have a proven track record. I use Wix primarily because of availabilty. But I wouldn't hesitate to use a Baldwin.

Baldwin/Hastings doesn't give oil filter performance information AFAIK. (I've never found it or seen it posted.) I think they just use plain old cellulose paper filter media, just adequate. Oil filters for trucks there might be different, just talking car stuff here.

Wix and the same NAPA Gold oil filters publish 95% @ 20 microns, not as good as Fram ToughGuard or Fram Ultra at 99% @ 20 micons, yet the Wix/Golds are good.

Also try to use an oil filter with a silicon ADBV, not nitrile or butyl.

Last edited:
Hastings have a silicone adbv as well as the Nnapa gold , platinum and Wix. Both brands are recommended by my Honda mechanic and he has been working on cars since 78. Other mechanics as well prefer the Wix.. I like them and they stand up well even in the extreme MN winters we have here, You can find Hastings and Baldwin on amazon..

The cheaper wix filters use a rubber adbv but they last 7-10 k before falling apart.. Good to use in spring/summer and into fall but come fall/winter I use a filter with the silicone adbv..
Napa and carquest also carry the wix brand.

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Baldwin/Hastings doesn't give oil filter performance information AFAIK. (I've never found it or seen it posted.) I think they just use plain old cellulose paper filter media, just adequate. Oil filters for trucks there might be different, just talking car stuff here.

Wix and the same NAPA Gold oil filters publish 95% @ 20 microns, not as good as Fram ToughGuard or Fram Ultra at 99% @ 20 micons, yet the Wix/Golds are good.

Also try to use an oil filter with a silicon ADBV, not nitrile or butyl.
Dunno how accurate this is ...

"Exceeds OEM standards by filtering 98% @ 20 microns and 78% of 12 microns compared to 87% @ 40 microns and 78% @ 30 microns with most filters (prolongs engine life due to cleaner, smoother, highly filtered oil); Has 3-4 times contaminant holding capacity for longer oil and filter change intervals (up to 12 and even 15K kms, more than ok for 10K kms)." - https://www.facebook.com/heavydutyfilters/posts/228971050603299

You're talking about a well constructed oil filter with either Baldwin/Hastings or Wix/NAPA Gold.

Donaldson Endurance is out there too if you insist on synthetic media.

Use any of these with confidence.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Hastings have a silicone adbv as well as the Nnapa gold , platinum and Wix. Both brands are recommended by my Honda mechanic and he has been working on cars since 78. Other mechanics as well prefer the Wix.. I like them and they stand up well even in the extreme MN winters we have here, You can find Hastings and Baldwin on amazon..

All of the Hastings filters I know of have nitrile ADBVs, not silicone.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Hastings have a silicone adbv as well as the Nnapa gold , platinum and Wix.

I haven't seen a Hastings or Baldwin with a silicone ADBV yet. Most Wix filters do use them, but certainly not all.

In reality, I consider the Wix and Hastings/Baldwin filters essentially interchangeable. I can get both locally rather easily.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I just received an email from Baldwin about their B1402, the specific filter for my application:

"B1402 has a 23 nominal with a 45 absolute micron rating. Average efficiency is 75.98%." ... works out to be 98.7% @ 45 microns and 50% @ 23 microns. B1402 has 117.1 sq in of media, 11.2g capacity, BX2=23, BX75=45, burst psi 265.

Compared with the WIX 51356 that has a beta of 2/20=6/20 (95% @ 20 microns, 50% @ 6 microns).

Sounds like the standard Wix filters better, at least when comparing the B1402 to the 51356!

this is why I have a man crush on baldwin.. very open with the technical info. Last filter order I made was all red filters.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You're talking about a well constructed oil filter with either Baldwin/Hastings or Wix/NAPA Gold.....

.....Use any of these with confidence.
+1

Baldwin/Hastings use nitrile adbv's and aren't really that readily available (off the shelf) in this area. I'm now able to get Napa Gold/(Wix) with silicone adbv for $3.75 at twice yearly Napa sale, so that makes them a real value. But for 5-6k standard ocis go with the least expensive if that's what you narrowed the choice to.

Here is what Hastings told me about the filters for my Firebird (I asked for their opinion on whether I should use the oversized AC Delco PF52 equivalent instead of the PF47):

Derek,

The LF233 and LF393 are the same except for the length. The LF393 is longer. I would recommend using what the application calls for which is the LF233. If you use the LF393 we cannot guarantee it should you have any problems.

Spec sheet is attached.

Sandy

BaldwinHastingsFirebird_zps6bc5e94f.jpg

I know from past experience that the oversized PF52 equivalent works on applications that use the PF47 if there is room, so I'm not sure why they're hesitant about it. They're pretty much exactly the same aside from the length and amount of media, IIRC. I've used the oversized filter on my Firebird and also a 2003 Malibu that I used to maintain.

BTW, the filtration is nothing to write home about. If I understand the beta ratios correctly, it's 50% at 18 microns and 95% at 40 microns?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
BTW, the filtration is nothing to write home about. If I understand the beta ratios correctly, it's 50% at 18 microns and 95% at 40 microns?

Beta 2 = 50%
Beta 75 = 98.7% (not 95%, which is Beta 20)

So it's a little better at 40 microns than you show.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Beta 2 = 50%
Beta 75 = 98.7% (not 95%, which is Beta 20)

So it's a little better at 40 microns than you show.

Ah, I was close.
smile.gif
Thanks for the correction.

I have been wanting to give Baldwins a try, but dang they are nothing to write home about.. especially for how hard they are for me to get. Ill stick with the WIX made Napa Silvers and the occasional Fram TG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back