Baking Soda and Cartridge Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baking soda is a poor man's water softener. Pull the sink stopper and pour in one ounce or 30CC into your bathroom sink to make the water super slippery. Dip your razor in there after each pass. When it comes time to stop, don't rinse the blade off with water from the faucet; just dip it in the sink water and set it aside on a towel. I've been doing this for a few months now and I'm amazed at how long the blades last. Before that I was using straight hard water and I'd only get two shaves out of the blade.

Nice, I'll try this in the future! What I normally do when I'm done shaving is rinse and pat dry the blade, then place it into a small cup of baby oil. Does basically the same thing.

I normally fill the sink with the hottest water I can get, then I pump about 5 pumps of aloe Vera in it
I rinse my safety razor after usage with rubbing alcohol and set it up to dry
I shave 2x a day, at night after a shower and after pt on weekday mornings /gym on weekend mornings. I go thru 1 blade/4days/8shaves

safety razor blades are cheap enough where keeping a 4 cent blade is hogwash
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Baking soda is a poor man's water softener. Pull the sink stopper and pour in one ounce or 30CC into your bathroom sink to make the water super slippery. Dip your razor in there after each pass. When it comes time to stop, don't rinse the blade off with water from the faucet; just dip it in the sink water and set it aside on a towel. I've been doing this for a few months now and I'm amazed at how long the blades last. Before that I was using straight hard water and I'd only get two shaves out of the blade.

I have a beard and shave very little.

I use soap for shave lube while I'm in the shower. I use the same razor blade until it's so dull it's tearing the hair our rather than cutting it.

I'm going to have to try the baking soda trick. I have a hard time with shaving and often get razor bumps. Maybe the baking soda will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back