Baking Cookies in the Car - 2.0

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well, here we are for the 2nd edition of Baking Cookies in the Car. I first did this in 2016, I'll post the link below, unfortunately my pictures from before didn't make it.

The forecast is 116 degrees today, currently 114 just after 12:00. I do have the interior sunroof cover open.

I have a digital cooking thermometer tucked under the steering column in the shade. Currently 136 degrees in the car.

I know you guys are on the edges of your seats, so I will keep you updated!
lol.gif

Link from 2016

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Hold on. I have to check with the egg frying guy.
laugh.gif

I've done that too on a manhole cover. Didn't work out as well as I thought. Hmm, maybe I'll try it on here later!

Nick1994: yes, it's hot out there. Thanks for post and pics. I like your posts. Stay safe 🤟ðŸ»ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸

2 hour update:

149 degrees in the oven. Still 115 outside.

I only plug the wire into the Thermpro to check the temperature, I bring the device inside while the probe is in the car.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Wow this is hot.

I's hot but I thought it would be way hotter
I thought we would have cookies by now
frown.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I want to know when are they going to be done?

I'm shooting for 4-1/2 or 5 hours. I haven't opened the doors yet so I'm not sure if they're soft or not.

4 hour update is pretty uneventful, still 152 degrees in car and 117 outside.

Reminds me of the time we went to a wedding and stayed at a hotel with bedbugs.

My saturn was the last leg of the journey home, from Logan airport. All our laundry was in trashbags and we ran it through the dryer but I had my car's interior to think about.

So, it being hot enough out, I idled it for a few hours with the heat on max, and a 1800 watt space heater running in there too. Got it up to 165 or so. Couldn't get any higher. Cars aren't THAT well insulated.

Hahaha, I dried a banana the same way on a summer time trip to Phoenix. Took all day, but it shriveled, browned and dried up to nothing.

My sister once had a gray 1991 Chevrolet Cavalier. It was gray inside too. It was once so hot in there that a box of cassette tapes she had was partially melted. When she first got it there was even plastic on the seats. Imagine what that thing was like on a hot sunny day when you get in. It was awful. That car was an oven on wheels on sunny days. I live it south western Pennsylvania so it is not like we always have really hot weather either other than a few 95 F days maybe even triple digit. If this car was in a hotter place it would probably burn papers that were left inside it.

Although not automotive related, our Stemme S10 motor-glider (airplane) has a large bubble canopy for 2 side by side seats.

Amazingly, one day the instrument panel cover started smoking like crazy. The canopy magnified the sun into a spot and fried the composite instrument panel cover.

Back