Baked a loaf of sourdough today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to bake sourdough bread, but lost my starter due to neglect. While cleaning the fridge last week, I found a sealed package of dried starter. I activated it and have been expermenting with it. Did a fair loaf yesterday, and another one today. I dried and packaged the starter in 01 I think. Was pleasantly supprised that it was still good.
This is the starter
My past endeavors.

Funny . . . I was just looking at some old posts of yours (Dodge truck and SHELL oil, among others), as well as thinking about being a "mopar or no car" kind of guy (if I have that right).

This afternoon was thinking that I need to learn to bake a few things (my wife is wonderful) so as to round off a good dinner.

Sourdough bread was what I settled on. Son is going to be home from USMC Basic School over Memorial Day, so figured I had a little time to practice.

A fine coincidence, your post, and I sure appreciate the effort. It'll be fun to start. Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Funny . . . I was just looking at some old posts of yours (Dodge truck and SHELL oil, among others), as well as thinking about being a "mopar or no car" kind of guy (if I have that right).

That's about it. It's been an evolution, sort of, for me. I've owned Mopars off and on all my life. They were always beaters and always outlasted everything else.

quote:

This afternoon was thinking that I need to learn to bake a few things (my wife is wonderful) so as to round off a good dinner.
My wife still works. She has 8 years to go to retire. I cook, take care of the cars, the yard, general maintance. My wife does the house work. I help when she asks, otherwise I stay out of her way.

quote:

Sourdough bread was what I settled on. Son is going to be home from USMC Basic School over Memorial Day, so figured I had a little time to practice.
Sourdough is a great way to start. It will take a few trys to get going. Don't be supprised if you bake a brick or two. Everyone does.

quote:

A fine coincidence, your post, and I sure appreciate the effort. It'll be fun to start. Thanks!
I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you want, I can mail you a package of Carls starter. It is the best culture to start with for a beginner and is very forgiving. Just PM me your address and I'll send some fresh starter in a ziplock bag.

Very cool.

I make an Italian sour dough. The starter is called "biga". So good.....but man I just gotta watch the white flour. I Try sometime with a little ground flax meal and stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Very cool.

I make an Italian sour dough. The starter is called "biga". So good.....but man I just gotta watch the white flour. I Try sometime with a little ground flax meal and stuff.

Very cool indeed.
cool.gif

I love fresh bread. I grew up with fresh home made bread. My Mother baked bread often.

I'd love to try your starter. How about a swap?

I've always meant to get into sourdough bread, but never got around to it. I've baked bread since the mid-70's. I like doing it and have gotten quite good at it. I've even given a few women friends some tips (I love it when they ask me for help. Boosts my ego.) I get a lot of compliments from people on my various breads. My wife thinks it great as it cuts down on her kitchen time. All my breads are kneaded -- no quick rise breads or automatic breadmakers for me. I also do biscuits, muffins, and Indian fry bread. I've also gotten into cooking more and more the past few years. I've always been good at breakfasts, but I've been branching out into dinners, and my wife REALLY likes that, after cooking for me and the 3 kids for 37 years.

jmacmaster, Nice to hear from you.

You'r a bread macmaster. Way to go.
worshippy.gif
Since I do all the cooking, I'm into 30 minute meals.
grin.gif
Lots of baked dishes, casseroles, etc.

PM sent.

My own interest has been in cooking the kind of meals we all like around this house, sort of Texas-style comfort food. I'll leave the smoked brisket to others as I've had a lot of fun with the side dishes and such.

Looking forward to the bread making.

(I wear them down around here as I cook the same recipe a half-dozen times. Like chili based on really old recipes: started in October and had it perfect by Christmas Eve! Two huge batches and fed 35 people at two locations . . and ran out.)

Always glad to learn more. Or share.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
PM sent.
Looking forward to the bread making.
Always glad to learn more. Or share.

I made a "noodle" for you and put it in the mail today. When you get it, put it in the fridge until you have a change to activate it. Heat will harm it, it likes cold.

When you activate it, break it into small pieces and put it in a 1/4 cup of tepid water, (70f -80f), and soak it until it gets soft. Stir in a tsp. of sugar, a tblsp. of potato flakes if you have it, and enough white flour to make a light batter. Cover and set aside, don't warm it, room temp is just fine. after a few hours, you should start to see some bubbles. Once you are getting good activity, feed it according to the info on the Carls friends website. If you have questions or problems, PM me.

If anyone else wants some starter, PM me your address, no SASE required. Why waste 2 envelopes and stamps when 1 will do. If I get enought interest, I'll dry a new batch.

Good luck and have fun.

Wayne

Thanks Pablo.

Traditional sourdough was used exactly like Biga. Modern sourdough usage is usually from a liquid culture with a medium batter thickness, but it's not necessary, the saved dough starter works just fine. Some bakers prefer it.

Received starter on 13th. Thank you very much, Oldmoparguy! Have some spareribs to do Sunday, so am looking forward to reading/organizing materials and my mind this week to make sourdough bread.

Son tells me he's gotten thin on USMC fare, so am preparing even more than he might be able to eat (and the wife and I can enjoy as leftovers once he's gone back).

Yeah, come on, you got a friend in Texas!

Just stop off over to Wilkes County and see if Willie Clay Call will let you borry his 160-mph 600-hp 1961 New Yorker (twin 4V on a crossram) . . you can cover that 1,000 miles by suppertime.

Been slow on the go here. Promised myself that this is the month I'd start to make some sourdough bread (as it is truly too hot for me outdoors). More later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back