Bah Humbug! No Christmas spirit here!

Christmas morning I fed the chickens. Right next to the coop is my pressure tank for my well. I noticed that the pressure was low. 26 psi when the pump is set to come on @28.

I felt the pipe and felt the buzzing so the pump is on. Went inside and came out 45 min later and it was up to 40 psi.

Normally it takes 15 min to go from 20 to 44.

So something is wrong. Been watching it and now the most it can get to is 34 psi.

So it could be any number of things. Well dry( I hope not),pump worn out,drop pipe broke etc. Hoping it's not dry as I do not have the funds available to drill a new well or deepen the currant one.

Well guy is supposed to be here tomorrow.

I do have about 1000g stored in a separate tank and a pump to fill my pressure tank if I have to. Once that is gone I have to start hauling water which is a whole nother deal in it's self.

Merry Christmas to me!

Geez. I certainly hope that well hasn’t dried up. We take water for granted on the East Coast. Perhaps it’s something minor. Anyone else around you having the same problem? However, I know from previous posts that you’re by yourself. How old, deep is your well?

Geez. I certainly hope that well hasn’t dried up. We take water for granted on the East Coast. Perhaps it’s something minor. Anyone else around you having the same problem? However, I know from previous posts that you’re by yourself. How old, deep is your well?
I was once told I was "wasting water." I was like, "You can't waste water..."

Could be as simple as the pressure solenoid or worse. Is this a bladder tank?
No it is a 500g cast iron tank repurposed to a water tank. It is roughly 1/2 air 1/2 water. When the water level in the tank drops so does the pressure. When it gets to 28 psi the pump comes on and puts water into the tank. Once the water level compresses the air up to 44 psi the pump turns off.

Boy, this thread brings back memories of my dad out tinkering on the well pump. The tank was an old iron thing and the water came out tasting better than any I've ever had since. The pump was ancient and dad rebuilt it with gaskets he made out of leather and scrap plastic every several years. It made the best "thunka-thunka-thunka" sound when it came on.

Boy, this thread brings back memories of my dad out tinkering on the well pump. The tank was an old iron thing and the water came out tasting better than any I've ever had since. The pump was ancient and dad rebuilt it with gaskets he made out of leather and scrap plastic every several years. It made the best "thunka-thunka-thunka" sound when it came on.
Boy do i remember that ! old piston pump, i watched my dad do the exact same thing.

No it is a 500g cast iron tank repurposed to a water tank. It is roughly 1/2 air 1/2 water. When the water level in the tank drops so does the pressure. When it gets to 28 psi the pump comes on and puts water into the tank. Once the water level compresses the air up to 44 psi the pump turns off.
possibly bad check valve..

Good luck! 2
Possible. I have to wait on the well guy. I have no way of pulling 290 ft of pipe out of a well.
90 Feet where you are? Is that a short depth? I was lucky we hit at 255ft at 19GPM. That's a good rate for here. Builder across the street had less GPM than code at 625 feet of drilling. That means another site or a more expensive piece of machinery needed. Good luck! Check valve would be a blessing.

Good luck! 2

90 Feet where you are? Is that a short depth? I was lucky we hit at 255ft at 19GPM. That's a good rate for here. Builder across the street had less GPM than code at 625 feet of drilling. That means another site or a more expensive piece of machinery needed. Good luck! Check valve would be a blessing.
290. I have the shallowest and oldest well in my area. This is the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_093942.jpg
    IMG_20201227_093942.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 55
Back