Bah Humbug! No Christmas spirit here!

Thanks. It has been a rough year for sure.
Glad to see it isn't $20k - but it sounds like a large repair is inevitable in the near future. I think I've said this before, but living in rural areas bring its own unique set of challenges that can require deep pockets. What is your long-term plan at this point?

Glad to see it isn't $20k - but it sounds like a large repair is inevitable in the near future. I think I've said this before, but living in rural areas bring its own unique set of challenges that can require deep pockets. What is your long-term plan at this point?
I really like where I live. Nice and quiet. No cars zooming by. I do not like the way the state is ran. We have talked about moving to AZ @ some point. But if We moved we would still be "out in the sticks" and not on a paved rd.

From what I’ve calculated a well costs about the same as municipal water (around here muni water is expensive) but you pay for it all at once instead of monthly bills.

Having to deal with a well is one thing that's always worried me. Eventually we're going to buy a plot of land, put up a small modular. It'll have septic and a well.

Where I am now, I can go down 6 inches and hit the water table. Infact, I had to redrill a new sump pit because my sump pit in the crawlspace was pumping groundwater all the time. However, if I ever needed to, I would be able to get water if I had to go to a well. I would hope whatever house we build can have a well drilled easily.

I really like where I live. Nice and quiet. No cars zooming by. I do not like the way the state is ran. We have talked about moving to AZ @ some point. But if We moved we would still be "out in the sticks" and not on a paved rd.
That's fair. But sometimes you have to weigh your wants against your financial capabilities.

Reactions: GON
Having to deal with a well is one thing that's always worried me. Eventually we're going to buy a plot of land, put up a small modular. It'll have septic and a well.

Where I am now, I can go down 6 inches and hit the water table. Infact, I had to redrill a new sump pit because my sump pit in the crawlspace was pumping groundwater all the time. However, if I ever needed to, I would be able to get water if I had to go to a well. I would hope whatever house we build can have a well drilled easily.
Not sure if it's comparable, since I know I don't want to drink surface water! What is way down might be a different story. Still, it seems "normal" to drill down and get water.

Friends of ours did have a pump die on them, and it was like $4k to replace the wiring, pipe, pump. Sudden unexpected expense. Just part of home ownership, and why one has an emergency fund. It sure can be tempting to look at that fund, and think about what one could pay cash for...

FWIW, my last house, outside of changing the water filter every so often, I did zero for the well. I think it was drilled in '95, no idea for the next ten years, then I bought and had for 14 years. But those 14 years I did nothing. The septic I did pump every 2-3 years, but that was not a big expense; at the last pumping one of the covers did break but that was $25 to replace.

Back