Bad wheel finish

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Simple green? There's your answer. Don't use that on wheels. I've never needed more than soapy water and a sponge or microfiber mitt.

I have not used Simple Green on these wheels.

And, yet again, at least the third time: ALL the SRT wheels with the PVD coating do this. They ALL peel. The finish is bad on ALL OF THEM.

The wheels on my wife's GN have been cleaned with Simple Green for decades with no problems whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Simple green? There's your answer. Don't use that on wheels. I've never needed more than soapy water and a sponge or microfiber mitt.

I have not used Simple Green on these wheels.

And, yet again, at least the third time: ALL the SRT wheels with the PVD coating do this. They ALL peel. The finish is bad on ALL OF THEM.

The wheels on my wife's GN have been cleaned with Simple Green for decades with no problems whatsoever.

Sorry, was in a hurry and misread a post. Good luck.

Is Chrysler still doing the "chrome clad" treatment for their chrome wheels...where it is essentially a plastic chrome overlay over the wheel? I know those were prone to peeling/flaking...

Last edited:
Are these "chrome clad" wheels where a plastic chrome wheel cover is glued on to an alloy wheel? Those are all garbage, I'd find a quality aftermarket wheel you like the look of. Clad wheels are garbage...the look of a worn out hubcap with the expense of an OE alloy wheel.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!

For (at least) the third time: they are PVD chrome wheels.

Didn't read the whole thread, in any case, that's what I'd expect from paint on chrome. Get some quality polished alloy aftermarket wheels.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Are these "chrome clad" wheels where a plastic chrome wheel cover is glued on to an alloy wheel? Those are all garbage, I'd find a quality aftermarket wheel you like the look of. Clad wheels are garbage...the look of a worn out hubcap with the expense of an OE alloy wheel.

Every chrome clad wheel is absolute overpriced garbage. I have lost count of how many times a customer comes in thinking they just have to buy a wheel cover and I get to tell them that no, they screwed up a $1200 wheel.

What is PVD...

Detroit Wheel

Bought these for my black Lexus last fall, ran them through winter here they still look great although the chrome plastic center caps pitted, I'll try a clearcoat before next winter.

Originally Posted by dblshock
What is PVD...

Detroit Wheel

Bought these for my black Lexus last fall, ran them through winter here they still look great although the chrome plastic center caps pitted, I'll try a clearcoat before next winter.

Physical Vapor Deposition, supposed to be a better way to Chrome wheels. Different colors etc...

Back