Bad Premiun Gas During Winter Months

If you have a car that calls for 89 or higher octane rating, how do you avoid getting bad gas since the vast majority of cars used the 87 regular gas.

During winter months most of the sports cars, and other toys are not driven much. My solution is pump regular gas and add some octane booster before

pumping the gas. Any other ideas that one can consider???

I just use a high volume station as mentioned above. There are still plenty of people who will put premium into whatever thinking it burns cleaner or whatever.

I had the same concern. One of my friends used to own a 76 station and told me their premium tank was refilled at least once a week. So, it is probably not an issue, at least not in this area.

During winter months most of the sports cars, and other toys are not driven much.
I would think there are plenty of upscale daily drivers that run on premium fuel out there to ensure even the premium tanks at gas stations get refilled fairly often, at least at high high volume stations where I fill up. All our cars run on premium and I've never had an issue.

How do you determine a high volume gas station, I know the ones in the toll way are because no competition.

Never had an issue filling up with Premium (91+) in the winter. As others have stated, many daily driven vehicles on the road do call for Premium which should keep the gas relatively fresh.

Also, most Mid-grade gas is a blend between 87 and 91+, so while the 91+ might not be getting used as often, the 87 certainly is. So what little "degradation" there may be in the Premium tank, the Regular should make up for.

With regards to high volume, just keep an eye out for which stations are always busy. If you have a Costco nearby, that'll likely be the freshest gas you can get.

I'm thinkin you might've recently watched legitstreetcar's youtube vid where he drove the Mercedes home from Kansas.. I'm not convinced that his problem was from bad gas/water in his tank. I remember reading through multiple posts here from guys that drive gasoline tanker trucks, and it just seems unlikely that water contamination occurs with the technology that's been in place for at least the past 10-20 years.

With that said, anything is possible, I would have no problem buying premium gas from any high volume station, or brand name station. I think in the video Alex said he got gas at some noname station, but I can't remember exactly.

You could try using an octane booster.

Here is a company called BOOSTane that has a very nice chart.

Let's say you need to pump 20 gallons of 87 octane and you want to up the octane rating to 91. Add .26 ounces per gallon or 5.2 ounces and that's it.

At a cost of $30 for 32 ounces, that equates to raising your fuel price by $0.24 a gallon. That's cheaper than the $0.40 per gallon than buying it from the pump.

Let's say you need to pump 20 gallons of 87 octane and you want to up the octane rating to 91. Add .26 ounces per gallon or 5.2 ounces and that's it.

At a cost of $30 for 32 ounces, that equates to raising your fuel price by $0.24 a gallon. That's cheaper than the $0.40 per gallon than buying it from the pump.
Great info!

40cents? here regular stations .60-1.10
costco or sam's is 30c-50c

although its 92 or 93, not 91.

I would be think twice about using octane booster.. some of that stuff is very bad for spark plugs and sensors.

40cents? here regular stations .60-1.10
costco or sam's is 30c-50c

although its 92 or 93, not 91.

I would be think twice about using octane booster.. some of that stuff is very bad for spark plugs and sensors.
The Dodge Demon guys swear by Boostane. It will cause some discoloration on the plugs, but won’t hurt it if you use it properly.

I found an octane booster as pills.

Attachments

• OCTANE-PILLS-IMG_6981.JPG
    OCTANE-PILLS-IMG_6981.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 5
Interesting piece from "legitstreetcars".
He is a MB mechanic, but moved to the private sector.
He bought a high end MB CL65 from Hoovie and was driving it 700 miles home to Chicago.
It was driving terribly, figured out it was bad premium at a low volume station caused the issue.
Entertaining video .... not so fun for him on the drive.

.26 oz per gallon!? Yea freaking right.

Back