bad oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
this must be the worst oil you can buy. I was looking through the selection of oil at the local walmart when I saw a black bottle with a picture of a tire on it.I think it was about 64cents The front said something like "non detergant sae30 api SA" I looked at the back of the bottle and at had a warning on it
shocked.gif
! It said" caution, this oil contains NO attitives. using this oil in vehicles newer than 1930 may result in severe engine damage." this stuff shouln't even be legal to sell. whatever you do, don't use this oil
nono.gif

This oil does have a purpose...I needed a quart to change the oil in my power washer pump. The manual specifically said that detergent oils would damage the seals. It would also be good for a general purpose oil can for lubeing hinges, electric fan bearings, etc. Anyone cheap enough to try it in an engine deserves what they get...

quote:

Anyone cheap enough to try it in an engine deserves what they get...

True, true. "Hey lookie, I save 80 cents on my anual oil change!"

quote:

Originally posted by dipstick01:
this must be the worst oil you can buy. I was looking through the selection of oil at the local walmart when I saw a black bottle with a picture of a tire on it.I think it was about 64cents The front said something like "non detergant sae30 api SA" I looked at the back of the bottle and at had a warning on it
shocked.gif
! It said" caution, this oil contains NO attitives. using this oil in vehicles newer than 1930 may result in severe engine damage." this stuff shouln't even be legal to sell. whatever you do, don't use this oil
nono.gif

Was the brand Accel or something like that???

which oil would have the best specs?

choice 1: modern SJ rated , but economy brand, like Supertech from wal mart

or

2. A 1994 SG rated oil of a "better" brand say castrol?

Why do I ask this?
The question for my 1994 camry is, is a todays walmart super tech cheap oil the equal of a 1994 "castrol" valvoline etc?

[ September 27, 2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

A 30 or 40 weight "SA" oil would be an "ideal" lubricant for brush-type electric motors. Arcing at the brushes has been linked to lube breakdown and carbon formation in oils with additive packages designed for automotive use.

Timzak, if you're reading this, you might be correct. But, in any and all the aircooled gasoline engine (4 cycle) gardening implements I've encounterd, Brigs & Statton and Tecumseh have always recommended a straight 30 weight, detergent oil in our climate. Given that I can get a quart of SuperTech "SL" 30 weight oil for less than what Brigs & Stratton or Tecumseh charges for 20 oz. of "SK" or "SJ" oil, SuperTech goes in my mower and edger. And at that, it's less than 20 cents more than the "SA" oil on WallyWorld's shelves.

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
which oil would have the best specs?

choice 1: modern SJ rated , but economy brand, like Supertech from wal mart ....

I went to WalMart today to get some Mobil Drive clean. Seems they no longer sell it locally. I got a case of the 5w30 SuperTech. What's the story on this oil? I plan on using it in my oil burning V6 Taurus SHO that gets lots of highway miles.

I wouldn't call it the worst oil. It may be best in some applications... such as someone who needs a pure oil with no additives and wants the saving to go along with it. This oil can be used perhaps in your oil can, machine spindles, and many other applications. Though the fact that it has a picture of a tire on the bottle is irresponsible, misleading, and poor marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back