Bad Oil Info on Other Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few funnies I have read on a few BMW sites in the last few days:

1) BMW knows what they are doing, 15,000 miles are fine for oil changes, synthetics can go 25,000 miles plus.

2) Don't waste your money on Mobil 1, the BMW Synthetic is a better oil.

3) Don't use Mobil 0w-40 it is to thin for you engine, you should be using the 5w-30 which is thicker.

4) Related to 3. You should use Mobil 1 5w-30 in the summer and 0w-40 in the winter.

5) Mobil 1 is not real synthetic anymore, castrol sued them and they stopped making real synthetic.

Cary

Good ones.
lol.gif
Here's some more to add to the pot.
Things I learned on other sites:

1. 10w30 is not needed, just use 5w30.
2. Penzoil causes sludge and is the worst oil.
3. Mobil 1 filters are better than everything.
4. Fram filters are fine.
5. Change your oil at 3,000 miles or less.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Good ones.
lol.gif
Here's some more to add to the pot.
Things I learned on other sites:

1. 10w30 is not needed, just use 5w30.
[snip]
5. Change your oil at 3,000 miles or less.

-T

#5 there cracks me up. I remember having a guy I met at a party who worked at Jiffy Lube tell me that all smart mechanics changed their oil at 2,000 miles or less.
#1 I'm not sure about. If you're a light-footed driver and didn't do many long trips, I suppose you might be able to get away with 5W30 in the summer. And supposedly newer 5W30s are more shear stable than they were 10 years ago...

They were saying that 10w30 is no better than 5w30 in a supercharged car at the race track. I agree for some engines and with synthetic oil it might be true though.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
They were saying that 10w30 is no better than 5w30 in a supercharged car at the race track. I agree for some engines and with synthetic oil it might be true though.

-T

Ok. In that context, I have no question that 10W30 or even SAE 30 might be appropriate, depending on race length.

[Edited to amend contest to context.]

I was on a diesel site a few minutes ago and was informed that Mobil I is a Group III and also Royal Purple. Amsoil and Red Line were still PAO's. Darn, need to go more often, I learn new things there. We are all wet here. And of course you know who the purveyor of this new found info was, you guessed right, a very large Amsoil Dealer. Glad my ZO# under him has/or is about to expire. OK Pablo, this was 4 years ago prior to BITOG.

cheers.gif

There are several people I know on our GP forum that change thier Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles because it's "cheap insurance".
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
There are several people I know on our GP forum that change thier Mobil 1 every 3,000 miles because it's "cheap insurance".
dunno.gif

You think that's bad, you should see some of the guys on the Corvette Forum. Some of them admit to changing their Mobil 1 every 1000 to 2000 miles! Although it might take them 6 months to drive that much, since some of them seem to think that rain will cause the car to melt.
rolleyes.gif

A very preavalant that is a favorite of mine is not bad compared to some of what you guys posted, but many seem to think that 5w30 M1 is the ultimate oil for LT1s,
nono.gif
. Good info from this site is begining to help people see the light.

There are a lot of these misconceptions on the F150 boards too. Just about every time I log on somebody asks about running a qrt of ATF on their next change to clean out the engine. I refer them to this site most of the time, but sometimes I try to explain. "So young patiwan learner, you want to use ATF to clean your crankcase..."

Some of the Amsoil dealer sites are the worst!!!! Amsoil corporate even tries to clamp down, but they don't have the resources to police the whole web. I pay a price for these stupid, bad sites and it irks me. I REALLY got irked this week a BitOG member used a link to a dealer site and thought it was THE Amsoil site, and to make it uglier this BiTOG member thought some magazine's test on this guy's site was Amsoil data...what am I to do???
dunno.gif

The other irksome thing are cornball bad science from even the BIG oil names...magnetic attraction of the oil to dirt and stuff...
rolleyes.gif

DJ: yup, i got that feel from some of the camaro/impala messageboards too, and many have looked weird at me for running a mix of 10W-30 and 15W-50 because it does not go with the 5W-30 written on the oil filler cap....
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
A very preavalant that is a favorite of mine is not bad compared to some of what you guys posted, but many seem to think that 5w30 M1 is the ultimate oil for LT1s,
nono.gif
. Good info from this site is begining to help people see the light.

what's wrong with M1 5W-30?

Nothing really it is not not right for THIS APPLICATION because it runs thin more like a 20wt., and analyses here show this motor likes a heavy 30wt. to low 40wt. Other 5w30s are a better choice or people should look at the manual and realize that for most weather conditions 10w30 is accptable.

I bet M1 5w30 would be an exellent choice for many of the new Honda and Fords specing 5w20, even though from my reading they didn't tighten up clearances before switching oil specs..

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Some of the Amsoil dealer sites are the worst!!!! Amsoil corporate even tries to clamp down, but they don't have the resources to police the whole web. I pay a price for these stupid, bad sites and it irks me.

What do you expect when they hand out dealerships in every box of Cracker Jacks?

Why do you associate yourself with a company with Amsoils low dealer standards??

I don't recommend any sites other than Corporate, mine, or the other sponsors here.

Audie Junkie - that is the site I was referring to. YOU took it as Amsoil information. That is a dealer site and the "data" is from some silly magazine (which I actually know zero about other than seeing the link a few times).....yet somehow you are holding Amsoil accountable for this "data"??? I couldn't figure that out at first.....did you understand what you did and what you wrote?

I got involved with Amsoil because I like the products. I didn't start out as an Amsoil dealer because I wanted to sell stuff, I didn't even know much about the whole dealer thing. I need to emphasize there are some very GOOD dealers out there. Not all of them are "crackerjack box" guys - I was mainly referring to web sites. Yes, it's easy to sign up to be a dealer - but I take exception to your wisecracks for a couple reasons.

1) Regardless of the bias and hatred for Amsoil, most dealers actually know more about oils and lubes than isle people at Autozone, Pepboys, Shucks, Target, Walmart, Kmart.....
2) A T-1 dealer such as myself has to pass a test, this test is on par with what any oil salesman may need to pass (if there was a test.)
3) Amsoil actually has some decent training videos, an annual college training, etc. It's not all droid sales crap - I just like to augment it with what I learn here on BiTOG, the web, text books, SAE papers, etc...better than MOST people selling oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I wouldn't say Amsoil has low standards for knowledgeable dealers.

[ May 30, 2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

So I wouldn't say Amsoil has low standards for knowledgeable dealers.

The availability of information for honest dealers that want to be knowledgeable is not the same as having standards.

The stuff the 'droids pump out is evidence that Amsoil does not enforce their dealer standards if they even have standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back