Bad Gas = Shady Station Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanna read something scary?

I was talkin to a tanker driver a few months a go, and asked him if gas station owners bought all the gas they sell from the company they've contracted with (ie Chevron station actually selling Chevron gas), and guess what he said?

He admitted, with a straight face, that he's sold all kinds of cheap gas to all kinds of "brand name" stations. Some offenders are worse than others...all with the purpose of increasing profit margins. They'll buy the cheapest gas and sell it as if it were name brand...
shocked.gif

Moral of the story...you might NOT be getting what you paid for. Do your homework...I suggest having a look-out check the truck replenishing your favorite gas station...or maybe calling company HQ? I dunno...
dunno.gif

What a wonder is when chain stors like Kageroo have 5 stations in the same town, but one sells Chevron, one sells 76, one sells BP, one sells Kangeroo brand etc, I have to wonder if you are really getting the brand advertised on the sign and on the pump. I like to think you are because the chevron credit card works with the chevron pump and so on. But when I see a fuel truck there it never has a logo on it.

Bigbro, cheap gas is fine until its low detergent/additive levels cost you in the long-run, hence the push for "top-tier gas" by auto manufacturers.

Thats why the gas switcheroo I mention is important to me at least.

Quote:

Bigbro, cheap gas is fine until its low detergent/additive levels cost you in the long-run, hence the push for "top-tier gas" by auto manufacturers.

Thats why the gas switcheroo I mention is important to me at least.

That is why I run LC FP Plus in every tank.

Gas is gas. The difference is in the additives.
The tankers who stop at stations here are indepentent haulers and may stop at two or three brand different stations in the same trip.
The only 'brand' that has it's own tankers around here is 'Kwik-Trip'.
Of course, a shady station owner can dump about anything in his tanks when no one is looking.
BTDT, gas war in Texas a few years ago, the cheapest gasoline ended up with all kinds of nasty stuff added in the thin the gas out.
Plugs fouled, rough idle, bad mileage, etc., etc., etc....

I have seen a tanker put gas in the 87 octane then the 89 then the 92 from the same truck/same hose...

Here where I live, Marathon has a huge petroleum tank farm west of town. You can sit out there and watch all of the different tankers go in and come out of there.

Guess where the overwhelming majority the gas in this area comes from?
laugh.gif

Only one brand (that I'm aware of) comes from out of town. And that's the one brand I won't buy (Casey's General Stores), due to my Sister and I both getting burned by bad gas from the same station on the same day (talk about luck...)

Wow! All these great comments prove a point...stock up on your favorite fuel additive because u never know!!

I found out that a Chevron station in my area is actually a distributor to the rest of the stations...I'll pay them a surprise visit...
wink.gif

Quote:

I have seen a tanker put gas in the 87 octane then the 89 then the 92 from the same truck/same hose...

Are you sure he didn't use a different valve on the tanker truck? Tankers can move the hose from one ground tank to another and just send gas from a different compartment on the tanker through that same hose to the in ground tank.

Hammer

Moral of the story...buy from corporately owned and operated gas stations with the newest pumps and the most recent inspection certification stickers?

Almost all gas is the same. Its the little bit of additive that some of the individual companies add. I remember after Katrina the two East coast pipe lines were shut down.The news crews were out on I-95 where locally there is a distribution center. All the different companies tankers were lined up waiting for the gas to arrive up the pipe line. 87 and 92 octane is carried by the tankers. They mix the two to get 89 octane. The tankers eventually loaded up and then topped off with a little company additive.

Quote:

Almost all gas is the same. Its the little bit of additive that some of the individual companies add.

Which is why I've personally stopped worrying about the issue.

Instead, I just fill up wherever (usually based upon price), and then put a little of my favorite additive (currently FP-Plus) in my gas tank, and be happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back