Bad Gas - First Time…or Was It?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I’ve been one of the lucky ones who has never had a fuel-related failure in the four seasons I’ve had a house and been running OPE. I know, not that long, but still. I just wanted to say that I’m now on board with using only fresh, stabilized fuel. The below issue could have been worse.

I usually use red Stabil, but ran out and didn‘t add anything to this last batch of fuel. The fuel in the mower was maybe 1/4 full and maybe two months old, tops. Potential cause 1.

Symptoms: died with existing 1/4 tank of fuel after running for 1-1.5 hrs a few weeks ago during my last mow. Would not pull start; wouldn’t even catch. If I manipulated the carb it would rev high and then immediately stall still. I haven’t had time to mess with it until earlier today.

This has happened one other time, dying out of nowhere, but it started when cool. Weird.

Today I added fresh fuel to full - nothing. Not even a hint of starting.

Solution: I emptied the tank. No obstructions noted in the fuel line. I blew carb cleaner through the 8” fuel line, the carb nipple and up into the tank to blow out the screen filter. No other filter was in place but the screen. After blowing into the tank I noticed some fine particulates in the bottom of the tank that weren’t there before. The mesh screen looked shiny and new. Potential cause 2.

I reinstalled the hose, filled with just a little bit of fuel and it started on the first pull. Seems to run stronger through the longer grass, too.

I honestly didn’t think the carb cleaner and fresh fuel would work, it was so dead. I’m glad I didn’t have to pull the carb. It‘s easy to get at, but still.

Last edited:
Sounds like it wasn't bad gas and you ended up with some debris in the carb that blocked off the filter screen. Probably came from whatever can you use to fill the mower or dirt coming in through the tank vent.

Sounds like it wasn't bad gas and you ended up with some debris in the carb that blocked off the filter screen. Probably came from whatever can you use to fill the mower or dirt coming in through the tank vent.

Maybe a combination of the two, but you're likely right. I know I've been bad at capping off the nozzle on my "jerry can", so debris from that is likely the cause. I know, very bad practice. I guess I just got so tired from the long mow last time that I didn't even think about it - I just put the can away.

Unfortunately I live in an area that most of the stations around me have ethanol fuel in every grade, even 93. It also doesn't make sense for me to buy the fuel in cans from home depot, or buy AV Gas. What I do is install fuel shut offs on all of my equipment and run them out of fuel when I know I won't be using them in less than a week. If they are being stored for long periods of time (like a generator or snow blower) I completely empty the tank. It has worked very well so far, and I run just regular E10 87 in everything.

Unfortunately I live in an area that most of the stations around me have ethanol fuel in every grade, even 93. It also doesn't make sense for me to buy the fuel in cans from home depot, or buy AV Gas. What I do is install fuel shut offs on all of my equipment and run them out of fuel when I know I won't be using them in less than a week. If they are being stored for long periods of time (like a generator or snow blower) I completely empty the tank. It has worked very well so far, and I run just regular E10 87 in everything.
For most equipment, there's no harm in using ethanol gas as long as it's not stored with it. The biggest issue is that it absorbs so much moisture that it causes corrosion in the fuel system. Most newer equipment is designed for E10 so the fuel lines and other soft parts can tolerate it pretty well, the metal parts don't tolerate the moisture and the acidity that it brings.

With any such fuel problem I usually take all fuel related components apart (carburator, fuel tank), clean, and dry. The fuel tank gets washed with a garden hose, then left in the sun for a couple days to dry completely. This usually cures all ills.

I always use pure gas. I make it myself from E10.

With any such fuel problem I usually take all fuel related components apart (carburator, fuel tank), clean, and dry. The fuel tank gets washed with a garden hose, then left in the sun for a couple days to dry completely. This usually cures all ills.

I always use pure gas. I make it myself from E10.
You don’t have any issues with the octane being too low from the lack of ethanol? I figured it would be a few numbers under 87 with it stripped.

I get no complaints from my equipment.
Good to hear, I about doing the same with some lab equipment a while back but didn’t want the neighbors to think I was cooking up meth in the garage. More of just a fun project than practical, thankfully we have many easy sources for ethanol free pump gas.

I think your problem was more of a dirt contamination issue than fuel issue. Nearly every fall I have a small amount of OPE gas left in my 5 gallon can. If I forget to pour it in one of the cars in the fall it gets poured in the mower tank when spring comes. I have no issues with starting or poor combustion on 87 octane E/10 that's been in the garage all winter without stabilizer. First start of the season on the push mower may take 2 or 3 pulls of the rope instead of the usual one pull but I think that's more from the the carburetor bowl being empty than it is bad fuel. After the first start of the season it's back to starting on the first pull. I often buy 2 or 3 2.5 gallon cans of gas at the same time to take to mom's for mowing so I don't forget to get gas when one can runs out. Her mower only uses about 1/2 gallon per mowing so it's not at all uncommon for it be 2-3 months before I use it all and it's never been an issue. The current can I'm using at mom's is already about month old and there's still around 1-1.5 gallons left. I just mowed her yard today without any issues. I'm hoping this will be the last can I need this season and I can refill them all when spring comes.

Same problem i have with my pressure washer. I fill it up and it runs fine for 2.5-3 hours then it cuts out.
I fill it up again then same problem 2.5-3 hours later its cut out again.

Good to hear, I about doing the same with some lab equipment a while back but didn’t want the neighbors to think I was cooking up meth in the garage. More of just a fun project than practical, thankfully we have many easy sources for ethanol free pump gas.
Are you using equipment to make pure gas? My method is simple..... add water, shake a bit, wait overnight and decant.

Back