Bad Eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many days past the sell-by date do you expect eggs to be safe for consumption?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
How many days past the sell-by date do you expect eggs to be safe for consumption?
grin2.gif

Mori, for everyone else maybe a week, for yourself there is no time limit, even a year after the sell-by-date there should not be a problem.

Originally Posted By: Texas Aggie
Until a chick hatches.
grin2.gif

How can chicks develop in unfertilized eggs?
wink.gif

Eggs are eternal (give or take) if refrigerated...I've never paid attention to the use by date.

But eggs and Salmonella aren't bedfellows down here.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
There is a very simple way to tell if eggs are bad:

Put them in a deep pot of water:

If they sink, then they're ok.

If they float, then they are bad.

GL

My question was not how to check the state of eggs. I know how to do that. Nobody but Pablo has answered my question! ("Eggs are eternal" does not count!
grin2.gif
)

Eggs last a long time if the shell isn't cracked and it isn't too hot. Weeks past the expiration date if they aren't abused.

If you seal them with wax they last along time without refrigeration.
11.gif
(Old transoceanic sail boaters trick)

Quote:
"they can sit outside under a hot chicken butt for 21 days and make a fresh chicken"

Originally Posted By: XS650
Weeks past the expiration date if they aren't abused.

I have never seen an expiration date on eggs. That they last weeks past the sell-by date seems possible.

I'll keep a few eggs for from one month to three months past the sell-by date. I will then evaluate my findings!

Quote:
"they can sit outside under a hot chicken butt for 21 days and make a fresh chicken"

Fresh for at least three weeks past getting laid, eh?
LOL.gif

IIRC eggs last quite awhile when refrigerated. They develop an air pocket when they've gone bad. You could candle them to determine condition.

If you really really want me to I can talk to the chicken expert at school...no really I can.

Alright fellers, please read my question again:

"How many days past the sell-by date do you expect eggs to be safe for consumption?"

Mt experiment will answer the question which I never asked.
grin2.gif

The egg industry claims that refrigerated eggs will hold up for 2 to 3 weeks past the sell-by date. Hardboiled eggs can be kept for 1 week.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
IIRC eggs last quite awhile when refrigerated. They develop an air pocket when they've gone bad.

Even a fresh egg has an air pocket. It just gets (a lot) bigger over time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

The egg industry claims that refrigerated eggs will hold up for 2 to 3 weeks past the sell-by date. Hardboiled eggs can be kept for 1 week.

Well there you have it. At least a lower bound to a limit.

Egg shells do transpire oxygen, so spoilage is certainly a concern. I know you are looking for an upper limit but honestly, eggs are cheap and are generally available by the half-dozen. I don't think I've ever tested the limit. We eat them way before they have a chance to go bad.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I know you are looking for an upper limit

No, I'm not. I want to know everybody's expectation.

To tel you the truth, I have never thought about the expiration dates on eggs. Most of the eggs we consume are bought at a nearby farm so there is no such thing as expiration dates on them. To see whether they are edible or not, we just drop them in a pot of cold water to see if they sink or float. Even the ones that float are usually edible (a little bit smelly, though).

I don't want to eat an egg that has a yolk that flattens out when I crack it. The egg is then "oxidized" to the point that I consider it unfit for consumption (unless I'm really, really hungry).

I have never attempted to find out when eggs go stale. It's certainly a couple weeks before they get stinky.

To reiterate, my original questions was about the egg buyer's expectation regarding eggs' shelf life. If you go buy eggs that have a sell by July 2nd date, do you expect them to be edible on, for example, August 15th? I was kind of hoping to hear horror stories about rotten eggs that were only a week past the sell-by date or something similar.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back