Bad batch of aluminum? What is this white stuff?

Brand new 2021 echo pb9010 blower. I was wondering what this white corrosion is all over the engine block?

Right out of the box it was like this I just never thought to post...
1106221947h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal aluminum oxidation. Remember, the more highly alloyed the aluminum, the faster it oxidizes. Clean it off with an oily rag if it bothers you.
I knew an A@P would know. I had it explained to me when I was a teen by an A@P.

Last edited:
Just oxidation (rust if it were iron)...if I remember right from my material classes, Aluminum oxide is harder than the aluminum alloy and actually provides a protective coating...but that class was over 20 years ago ;-)

Just oxidation (rust if it were iron)...if I remember right from my material classes, Aluminum oxide is harder than the aluminum alloy and actually provides a protective coating...but that class was over 20 years ago ;-)
Yeah it seems like everything I am was 20 years ago !

So I honestly dont mind it being on there, if it wont hurt anything. It is not on any of my other echo peices I own, including an older 2019 model PB-8010 with very high hours. Was curious if it was some kind of contamination within the aluminum or something that got on it.

DriveHard is correct. The aluminum oxide layer is harder than the aluminum alloy used, and it stops further oxidation from occurring.

Back